Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Windshield Wipers

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2011, 07:46 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Windshield Wipers

Quit working on me a couple days ago, the spray isnt working either. Checked the fuses and they are good. I heard that if you can move the wipers move freely that ment the motor was bad?? They dont move freely soo. Any ideas what it might be or what to check for. Thanks
Old 11-29-2011, 10:42 PM

Year: 1994
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0

Hey if you check directly under your steering column you will find a small black box that is velcroed to the pannel try pulling that box out from under the dash with all of the wires still connected and the wipers on and bang on the box if they start working then its a bad wipers control modual and it takes literally 2 mins to swap just go pull one from a junkyard and boom new wipers again... It's a common problem with xj's I've found so be prepared to try a few moduals that's what my problem was though. But make sure when you go to the junk yard that you take your wiper box and try to match the numbers on the sticker
Old 11-30-2011, 06:48 AM

Lol my buddy just told me the exact same thing. Thanks ill let ya know if that fixes it.
Old 11-30-2011, 10:38 AM

Originally Posted by MudTrucker
Hey if you check directly under your steering column you will find a small black box that is velcroed to the pannel try pulling that box out from under the dash with all of the wires still connected and the wipers on and bang on the box if they start working then its a bad wipers control modual and it takes literally 2 mins to swap just go pull one from a junkyard and boom new wipers again... It's a common problem with xj's I've found so be prepared to try a few moduals that's what my problem was though. But make sure when you go to the junk yard that you take your wiper box and try to match the numbers on the sticker
Thanks. I guess i bumped it or somethin cause one of the plugs was loose on the box, so it works now lol
Old 12-01-2011, 03:15 PM

Year: 1994
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0

Lol happens to the best of us well glad I could help I went the expensive route when I first tried to figure out what was wrong with it I replaced the motor and it still didn't fix it... But I did have to rebuild the linkage for the wipes because the plastic pieces were loose so it would make the wipers slap the metal trim around the windshield.