Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Windshield Leak?

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2010, 10:15 PM
Registered Users

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1991
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default Windshield Leak?

IS IT COMMON?

As some of you know, Miss Popo and I purchased a 1991 Jeep Cherokee.

I found some water in the glove box and the carpet is damp.

I dryed out the glove box and we realy have not had any precipitation since, however today when I took it to wash it, I checked in the glove box and there was a little water.

Now Im not sure if it is comming through the passenger side wing window which does not have a latch on it anymore to hold it tight or if there may be a common problem with these vehicles, where water leaks inside.

Any insight will be greatly appreciated, so I can begin to tackle the wet problem....
Old 03-06-2010, 10:32 PM
CF Veteran

Received 94 Likes on 85 Posts
Year: 1990, 1999, 2000

it could be coming in around the window seal, or maybe your cowl vent may be clogged. i know it's more common in the wranglers, but possible in your case.
on a nice dry day, you can use a water hose and pour water in the cowl vent to see if that's where it's coming from.

mine was leaking from along the top of the windshield, under the trim. when i had my windshield replaced, he repaired the rust hole, then used extra beads of sealant above and below the trim. no problem since.
Old 03-06-2010, 10:40 PM
Registered Users

cool, I was going through the SEARCH option on this site, and found numerous threads on the same issue. Was just wondering if anyone has narrowed the issue down to THE 1 issue causing the moisture.

I got some digging to do....
Old 03-06-2010, 10:54 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 1996
Engine: 4.0 HO

I had a lake on my passenger side floor the other day and I have no clue where it came from. My windshield was replaced a year ago before I bought it and it is watertight. I expect my driver's side to be wet because the door doesn't seal so great because it sags pretty bad. The passenger side is fine though and I still have a floor on that side. I was puzzled. I'd check to see if your roof feels wet. The bolt holes for the roof rails may be leaking. I have a slight leak through one of them and it causes occasional dampness. As for the passenger side lake, I'm gonna keep my eye on this thread to see if there's any ideas.
Old 03-08-2010, 09:11 PM
Registered Users

Well i talked to the guy who does our glass work at the garage I work at (part time). He said to check the HVAC unit and do my best to seal it up. Im going to remove the wiper cowl and cut the metal off of the area over the HVAC, then seal the HELL outta the HVAC unit. I will re-weld the metal back in plcae and seal the **** outta that also.

Also, he told me to take foam glass cleaner and hose down the edge of the windshield al the way around then use the compressed air from the inside to blow and see if it bubbles on the outside.