Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Will not start. Pls help.

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2009, 04:57 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1991 & 1994
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default Will not start. Pls help.

Got a 91' cherokee 4.0 auto. I just bought it and drove it home without issues. Next day it started fine but just 5 mins later did not start. Next day did the same thing. Now it won't start at all. The starter makes no noise at all. It won't even try.
I've put new battery clamps on it as well as a new starter and solenoid, and a new battery. Also cleaned the ground to the block.
All of the electrical works fine.
Still nothing.
Any thoughts?
Thanks in advance.
Anthony
Old 12-09-2009, 05:01 PM
CF Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Year: 1987
Engine: 4.0 liter RENIX I-6, DIY Cold Air Intake, 2.5 FM Exhaust, 3 Core Radiator

Sounds like you have a bad ignition/starter switch (the one inside on the steering column) or starter relay.
Old 12-09-2009, 05:04 PM
CF Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Year: 1987
Engine: 4.0 liter RENIX I-6, DIY Cold Air Intake, 2.5 FM Exhaust, 3 Core Radiator

Your Nuetral Safety Switch could be bad or going bad. Give the shifter handle a good slap from behind with it still in Park. Then, try to start your Jeep. If that doesn't work, shift it to Nuetral and try to start it.
Old 12-09-2009, 06:19 PM

Those sound good. Thanks.
Also just talked to a mechanic that said that the solenoid ground wire is solid copper "instead of braided" and tends to break. I've made a new ground wire and am going to try that out first since it is easy and free.
If that fails, I will replace what you said in your last 2 posts. Thanks
Old 12-10-2009, 03:57 PM

OK so I replaced the ground wire and nothing changed.
I also slapped the gear lever while in park and nothing happened.
Is there a way to test the starter relay?
Old 12-10-2009, 05:34 PM

So I replaced the starter relay and nothing happened.
Guess that leaves the ing switch, or the nss.
Any ideas?
Thanks in advance.
Old 12-10-2009, 05:41 PM
CF Veteran

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Year: 1994 1993

My bets on the NSS. The nuetral start safety switch. It`s main purpose is to keep the Jeep from starting in anything other than Park or Nuetral but basically it just completes the ground circuit for the starter motor. Are you backup/reverse lights coming on if you shift it into R? Because it also acts as the reverse light switch. You can by-pass this thing simply by looping the 2 black wires together.
Old 12-12-2009, 03:53 PM

The reverse lights work. Does that mean that the nss is good or just that particular function of it?
Old 12-14-2009, 12:34 AM

Year: 1991

Wow had a similar problem but mine is standard. Could u hear the fuel pump hummm?
Might be your ignition switch, located behind the steering wheel, only costs ten bucks, so i would try that.
Theres a way to by pass the relay switch to see if it works.
oh nevermind u replaced it already. lol.
Old 12-14-2009, 12:58 AM

Year: 1999
Engine: 4.0hp

could be the crank sensor my dad has an 89 and it went out and it wouldnt start if that sensor gets a little drop of oil on it itll take forever or sometimes never start thank god my 99 dosnt have them try that should be a cheap buy on ebay hope this helps
Old 12-14-2009, 02:01 AM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by Programbo
My bets on the NSS. The nuetral start safety switch. It`s main purpose is to keep the Jeep from starting in anything other than Park or Nuetral but basically it just completes the ground circuit for the starter motor. Are you backup/reverse lights coming on if you shift it into R? Because it also acts as the reverse light switch. You can by-pass this thing simply by looping the 2 black wires together.
Dude thats is a horrible idea. DON'T bypass the NSS(Its called the Neutral SAFETY Switch for a reason). to the OP, don't take his advice, there are plenty of people who have fixed the NSS without bypassing it. I wish I could help you out but my XJ is a 5spd so I don't have the NSS to deal with.
Old 12-14-2009, 05:07 PM

Ok. Replaced the starter, ign switch, starter relay, checked fuses, new batt connections, new battery, new ground wire to starter and still no start. By that I mean the starter will not make any noise at all. Relay clicks but not the starter.
Everything electrical works fine. I'm lost.
If my crank position sensor went bad would it cause the starter to not even try, or would the motor actually turn over, just not start?
Any help is appreciated.
Old 12-14-2009, 05:14 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by anthonytsi
Ok. Replaced the starter, ign switch, starter relay, checked fuses, new batt connections, new battery, new ground wire to starter and still no start. By that I mean the starter will not make any noise at all. Relay clicks but not the starter.
Everything electrical works fine. I'm lost.
If my crank position sensor went bad would it cause the starter to not even try, or would the motor actually turn over, just not start?
Any help is appreciated.
Its possible your starter isn't any good even though its new. If there is power to the relay there is power to the starter.
Old 12-14-2009, 05:26 PM

If I arched the starter with a screwdriver and it started then what does that mean?
Also, how do I pull codes on this thing.
Thanks.
Old 12-14-2009, 05:41 PM

Year: 1993

Bad solenoid usually. I am thinking about running a Ford solenoid on my XJ for the same reason. I have already installed a push button in case the ignition switch wont do it. Use a test light and a helping hand, put the test light on the small wire on the starter and have someone turn the key to "START" and see the there is power. If there is power,then you have a faulty solenoid. If there isnt power,start tracing it backwards---->relay,NSS,and ignition switch. Good Luck
-Lance

Quick Reply: Will not start. Pls help.