Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Why am I getting 3 code 27’s in a row?

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2018, 12:14 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1993
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0 straight 6
Default Why am I getting 3 code 27’s in a row?

I have a 93 xj 4.0 stock motor but lifted with heavy body roll and it’s struggling with an occasional bad misfire. It drives good then suddenly misses then clears up then misses over like a ten minute drive especially after deceleration which is very strange I think. Some days it doesn’t miss and drives great.
My codes are 34 27 27 27 end code. Why are there 3 27’s? I used to only see one code 27 a few months ago.
Ive had an ignition tune up a year ago. I recently checked and double checked my injector connections and I’ve had mixed results. First time I checked the meter showed that two were under the correct voltage but the next week I checked and they read fine but there was still a misfire happening at idle on and off. A very slight miss nothing heavy. I don’t get how they checked out fine but still had a miss. I can hear each injector tick by holding a screwdriver to my ear against the injector but it was still running rough even though I can hear each injector tick.
I also get post ignition I think. While misfiring I’ll very rarely get a click or tick noise and feel my gas pedal tick or knock once. It’s never a bunch of ticks just a single one.

So my big questions are 1) could this be a vacuum line issue? 2) could this be a bad coil pack? Or ignition related problem? 3) could this be a bad fuel pump or tank issue? 4) this is the most important question of them all please answer this one. Would questions 1-3 have their own error codes if they were acting up? Like if it’s bad spark or no spark would a separate code read for that or a vacuum leak? 5) can I realistically narrow down my troubleshooting to only the injector circuit? Since I’m only getting codes 27? And why suddenly do I get 3 consecutive code 27s when I used to get just one?
Old 07-07-2018, 09:14 AM
CF Veteran

Received 952 Likes on 767 Posts
Year: 1998 Classic (I'll get it running soon....) and 02 Grand
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 4.0

Originally Posted by BayArea93xj
I have a 93 xj 4.0 stock motor but lifted with heavy body roll and it’s struggling with an occasional bad misfire. It drives good then suddenly misses then clears up then misses over like a ten minute drive especially after deceleration which is very strange I think. Some days it doesn’t miss and drives great.

Those are classic failing CkPS symptoms. It could be other things, too.

My codes are 34 27 27 27 end code. Why are there 3 27’s? I used to only see one code 27 a few months ago.
Dunno why there are three. Maybe 3 injectors are failing?

Ive had an ignition tune up a year ago. I recently checked and double checked my injector connections and I’ve had mixed results. First time I checked the meter showed that two were under the correct voltage but the next week I checked and they read fine but there was still a misfire happening at idle on and off. A very slight miss nothing heavy. I don’t get how they checked out fine but still had a miss.
Could be a poor connection. Read this.

I can hear each injector tick by holding a screwdriver to my ear against the injector
Do yourself a favor. Get one of these.

So my big questions are 1) could this be a vacuum line issue?
Yes, and it never hurts to do some leak hunting. It's not expensive.

2) could this be a bad coil pack?
A 93 with a coil pack? Not that I ever heard of. You should have a coil and distributor.

BTW, check the connection into the coil.

Or ignition related problem? 3) could this be a bad fuel pump or tank issue? 4)
Yes and yes.

this is the most important question of them all please answer this one. Would questions 1-3 have their own error codes if they were acting up?
I don't know, but Cruiser might have that info or a list of codes on his site.

A 93 is OBD1, I think, so search for OBD1 info.

Like if it’s bad spark or no spark would a separate code read for that or a vacuum leak? 5) can I realistically narrow down my troubleshooting to only the injector circuit? Since I’m only getting codes 27? And why suddenly do I get 3 consecutive code 27s when I used to get just one?
I don't know much about the OBD1 trouble codes. I would expect a separate code for a vacuum leak, but OBD1 was pretty basic. I can say that the 27 code points to the injector circuit, so you should start there. Always fix known problems first, then see what remains.

Also, check your grounds. It's a basic thing that gets overlooked. See my sig, #1.
Old 04-13-2020, 12:15 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1991
Model: Cherokee(XJ)
Engine: 4.0

Did you ever get this resolved? If so, what was the solution?
Old 04-13-2020, 02:08 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1993
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0 straight 6

Originally Posted by Gryphon439
Did you ever get this resolved? If so, what was the solution?
unfortunately no