Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

white smoke out the hood

Old 12-14-2017, 11:00 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee(XJ)
Default white smoke out the hood

Hey guys, so I have a 2001 4.0 4WD Cherokee XJ with 188k miles on it and I have observed a problem with it. There are two major problems that I have noticed...

This is a video of problem #1...

1. There is white smoke/steam coming out the driver's side of the hood. It only happens after I have been driving for about 10-15 minutes on the highway and then come to a stop. I'm revving at about 1900-2100 RPM and driving about 55-65 MPH. It doesn't come out immediately, but after a couple seconds I see the smoke billow out. I have checked the coolant and I know it's not the coolant because it is water. I flushed the coolant and replaced it with water but the thing is is that the smoke still smells. It's not a cracked head because there is no oil in the coolant reservoir, so I think it could be a bad valve cover gasket. If it is, should I get that replaced? The smoke does not smell sweet, it smells bad. The oil pressure stays between 45-50 when I'm driving, but when I stop and the smoke starts, I've seen it drop as low as 25-30. What do you guys think?

2. The check engine light is on and it's throwing cylinder misfire codes in the #3, #4, and #5 cylinders. I've had the spark plugs replaced and the coil pack replaced, but it's still missing/sputtering. I think it could be the cam sensor, and it only misses when it revs lower than about 1500 RPM. It misses when I'm idling, revving less than 1500 RPM, and when I'm going in between 45-50 MPH. When I'm driving 45-50 MPH, I see the tachometer show that I'm missing and I feel the engine sputter about every 3-5 seconds. Could it be the cam sensor, or is it something else?

Thanks so much guys! I LOVE my XJ and don't want to sell/trade it if things go south so I want to solve this problem before it gets any bigger.