Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

White smoke, head crack that holds compression?

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2017, 12:40 AM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default White smoke, head crack that holds compression?

Is it possible to have a head hold compression when cold, but leak water into combustion chamber when warm? It has a new head gasket... Thanks

Last edited by Rastus; 11-01-2017 at 12:42 AM.
Old 11-01-2017, 08:42 AM
Banned

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Year: 2000
Model: Cherokee(XJ)
Engine: Golen 4.6L

Have you done a leak down test, or just a regular compression test?
Old 11-01-2017, 09:59 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1990
Engine: 4.0

White smoke is oil burning, steam would be water/coolant. Smoke hangs in the air and slowly dissipates where steam vanishes.
Old 11-01-2017, 05:14 PM

Did a wet/dry test, two caps of oil didn't change my readings. This is a 120K original mile motor... it's water, pipe blowing a patch of dirty water onto the grass, which it wasn't even doing before with the original cracked head. This is ridiculous luck : / it was a 7120 casting too, they're supposed to be solid. Coming back off now, will report back.
Old 11-01-2017, 07:29 PM

Default Plus how to remove a 4.0 head fast fast

Well it's off again, can't see a crack but the only dry intake valve chamber was the middle one rest were very wet looking, but can't see anything in the area inside the valve chambers either. Will take it down to a shop tomorrow for inspection. Btw I'm getting good at taking these heads off lol, and because I rarely contribute much....all I did was flip the throttle cables and bracket over the right side of the engine compartment, remove the two top bolts on the AC bracket, intake/ex bolts (install with 1/4" drive 9/16 socket stuffed with tape so you're pushing/seating the bolt instead of the engine etc plus a little patience, CAREFUL of two fragile end studs), moved in/ex aside for a bit of clearance, three front water hoses off plus the coolant sensor connector and it lifts right out (using valve bridges to attach and crane)... cake, didn't even loosen the belt and left the FI's/wiring in place. Bit less than an hour, maybe that's normal though. Goes back in that way fine also.

Last edited by Rastus; 11-01-2017 at 07:32 PM.