Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

where oh where

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2010, 01:07 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1996
Model: Cherokee
Engine: I6 4.0L HO, JBA headers, 99 intake, #703 injectors
Exclamation where oh where

my 96 jeep came with 4x7 speakers in the sound bar, the hole was still only ment for 5 1/4.. P.O put them in.. i took the 4x7 speakers out and put in 5 1/4s, i wanted to custom mount and fit them in the rear hatch but my xj doesnt have speaker wireing in the back hatch.. where can i pull speaker wire through with the sound bar off i can splice in the whires.. i have been trying to find a way but i cant figure it out..
any suggestions?
Old 04-17-2010, 05:48 AM
CF Veteran

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Year: 1991
Engine: 4.0

I, myself never trust factory wiring (usually 18 GA. anyways), or the previous owners wiring (never know what they did). So I always run new wire,(no splices) when putting in a new sound system. That way I know what I have, And if any problems arise. I know where to look. With that said, You can run them along, with the other wires going to the rear hatch (lics. plate light). If I remember correctly, it's on the passenger side, by the hinge. I have 5.25's in the front doors (1" tweeters under front dash, running in series off the door speakers). 6x9's in the rear hatch (they fit, you have to open the holes up). 10" sub in the rear passenger side pocket. 1400 watt, 5 channel amp under the rear seat, powering all the speakers. All looks like a factory job. And makes it, less likely to be stolen. Speakers are all Rockford-Fosgate, The amp is a Pyle, And the head unit is a Pioneer DEH-90HHD. The amp runs off the battery, the head unit runs off the fuse box. It did take me three afternoons to do this. But it looks good, I don't have speaker boxes in back, (taking up cargo space). And it sounds like a concert hall! Take your time, do a good job, It's worth it! Good luck to you! JMO!
Old 04-18-2010, 12:56 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1996
Engine: I6 4.0L HO, JBA headers, 99 intake, #703 injectors

Originally Posted by 91 limited owner
I, myself never trust factory wiring (usually 18 GA. anyways), or the previous owners wiring (never know what they did). So I always run new wire,(no splices) when putting in a new sound system. That way I know what I have, And if any problems arise. I know where to look. With that said, You can run them along, with the other wires going to the rear hatch (lics. plate light). If I remember correctly, it's on the passenger side, by the hinge. I have 5.25's in the front doors (1" tweeters under front dash, running in series off the door speakers). 6x9's in the rear hatch (they fit, you have to open the holes up). 10" sub in the rear passenger side pocket. 1400 watt, 5 channel amp under the rear seat, powering all the speakers. All looks like a factory job. And makes it, less likely to be stolen. Speakers are all Rockford-Fosgate, The amp is a Pyle, And the head unit is a Pioneer DEH-90HHD. The amp runs off the battery, the head unit runs off the fuse box. It did take me three afternoons to do this. But it looks good, I don't have speaker boxes in back, (taking up cargo space). And it sounds like a concert hall! Take your time, do a good job, It's worth it! Good luck to you! JMO!
thanks man.. still trying to work my way into the back hatch but i cant seem to find a way to run the wires into the back, the wires are on my driver side also.. i dont know if that makes a diffrence.