Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Where to look for gremlin in my radio...

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2017, 10:10 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default Where to look for gremlin in my radio...

I picked up a radio (Pioneer DEH 150MP) from a 98 XJ. It was already wired up so I removed my Sony deck and installed the Pioneer. My XJ wiring is factory and the connections are with Crutchfield adapters. Problem is that when the deck is powered up, my dash lights and parking lights come on. Anyone ever had this happen and know the fix? The deck wasn't powering down when I turned the key off but for some reason that corrected it's self today and is now working perfectly. Does the computer and antitheft have anything to do with it (on my beetle the computer plays a big role with the radio)? Mine is also a 98 XJ.
Old 08-27-2017, 10:36 PM

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts
Year: 2002
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L (AMC) Straight Six

I'd double check the wiring to make sure the previous owner/installer wired it up correctly... the radio is in no way connected to the computer, and receives it power via the 12V battery (Chrysler didn't start integrating their radios into the CAN-BUS (computer) until the mid-2000s when the WK Jeep Grand Cherokee came out). I'd have a sneaking suspicion that the previous owner/installer connected the illumination wire, which is NOT needed in a Chrysler installation... they should NOT have connected it. You might want to figure out what that wire is, disconnect it, test it, and see if it makes a difference.

Hope this helps
Old 08-28-2017, 01:04 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee

Thanks for the info. Mainly I just needed to know for sure that the sound system wasn't computer controlled. You were right. For some reason the dimmer wire was tied into the switched 12 vdc (it had no place to connect to the deck). I released it and taped it off as well as the blue and white wire for the power antenna (not required). Everything is working perfectly now.