Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Where does this ground wire go??

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2013, 09:50 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1999
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default Where does this ground wire go??

Hello,

I am working on my rear power windows on my 99 Jeep Cherokee Sport and I have a grounding issue (not the childlock issue). The suspect wire is grey with a black stripe. When I spliced it and ground it against the rear door my window worked from my rear window switch, however it doesn't work from the front master switch. Does anyone know where this wire is grounded at. I followed it to where the driver's side kick panel is but it looks like it goes into the firewall but I can't locate it on the engine side (probably due to the fact that there are about 100 wires in that small area). Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Butz
Old 10-31-2013, 07:59 AM
CF Veteran

Received 82 Likes on 67 Posts

That Gray/Black tracer wire is a ground wire to operate the Right Rear Window. It goes from the Driver Power Lock/Window Switch to the Right Rear Window Switch (see diagram).

The ground for the entire Power Window system is at G302 (see diagram and pic-behind spare tire rack).

Rear Power Window Circuit:

Name:  99REARPWRWINDOWS.jpg
Views: 3700
Size:  107.3 KB

Location of G302:

Name:  DSCF2371.jpg
Views: 1392
Size:  84.0 KB
Old 10-31-2013, 09:15 AM

Wow, that is very helpful. Thank you for the description and pictures. I couldn't get my hands on a wire diagram, probably time to invest in a Chilton's manual. Thanks again.
Old 10-31-2013, 09:30 AM
Herp Derp Jerp

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Engine: 4.0L OBD-II

Chilton's doesn't have anything of that caliber, a Factory Service Manual for your year is money very well spent
Old 10-31-2013, 10:57 AM

I am still running into the same issue. I checked/scuffed up the ground terminal and chasis and checked the ground wire (all looked good). I still cannot control the window from the master switch. I am convienced that it is a ground issue because before I grounded the grey/black striped cable on the door I couldn't get the window to work from the master switch or the switch on the back left door. Now that I grounded it there I can control it from the back left door switch and I can get it to go down from the master switch.

Butz
Old 10-31-2013, 11:14 AM
Herp Derp Jerp

Are you able to check continuity through the driver's door? If I recall correctly everything goes through there at some point and the wires do crack
Old 10-31-2013, 12:48 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by Jeep?
I am still running into the same issue. I checked/scuffed up the ground terminal and chasis and checked the ground wire (all looked good). I still cannot control the window from the master switch. I am convienced that it is a ground issue because before I grounded the grey/black striped cable on the door I couldn't get the window to work from the master switch or the switch on the back left door. Now that I grounded it there I can control it from the back left door switch and I can get it to go down from the master switch.

Butz
With the Gray/Black tracer wire grounded to chassis, does the window go up and down from either switch?

You said you spliced it, was it broken in two? If broken, where did you find this wire broken?

Last edited by CCKen; 10-31-2013 at 01:22 PM.
Old 10-31-2013, 01:25 PM
CF Veteran

What did I miss. Is the left rear window the window that you are having a problem with?
Old 10-31-2013, 01:53 PM
CF Veteran

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Year: 1989

Originally Posted by CCKen
What did I miss. Is the left rear window the window that you are having a problem with?
Yes, I think somewhere in there he mentioned "back left door" so I assume driver's side rear window?
Old 10-31-2013, 03:36 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by F1Addict
Yes, I think somewhere in there he mentioned "back left door" so I assume driver's side rear window?
No need to remind you what "Assume" means.
Old 10-31-2013, 03:39 PM
Herp Derp Jerp

Originally Posted by CCKen
Originally Posted by Jeep?
...from the master switch or the switch on the back left door. Now that I grounded it there I can control it from the back left door switch and I can get it to go down from the master switch.

Added emphasis for ya
Old 10-31-2013, 05:39 PM
CF Veteran

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Year: 1989

Originally Posted by salad
Added emphasis for ya

Right, but as Ken points out, the OP could have been facing his Jeep while standing in front of it. Always best to use "driver's side" or "passenger side" to avoid confusion.
Old 10-31-2013, 05:49 PM
Herp Derp Jerp

I suppose... normally I expect that confusion when dealing with stuff in the engine bay.
Old 10-31-2013, 07:00 PM
CF Veteran

Order in the Forum!

Will Mr. Jeep? please stand and address the Forum, and in your own words tell the Forum exactly what your original problem was .
Old 11-01-2013, 01:12 PM

Sorry for the confusion/delay. Here is the issue that I encountered:

-Both back windows would not operate from either the master switch or the switches on the back doors.
-I did the childlock bypass (I figured it was worth a shot even though the windows woultn't operate from the master switch)...didn't help
-I then pulled off the back driverside door panel to inspect the motor/wires...all checked good, had power running to the switch and when the switch was engaged I had power to the motor.
-That clued me into thinking it was a ground. Thats when I asked where the ground was...found the ground inspected/cleaned it. Followed the wire (everything checked good).
-Window still didn't operate.
-So then I said it and spliced the ground wire in the back driverside door panel and grounded it to the door.
-After I did that the window would go up and down from the back driver's side control. It would also go down, but not up, from the master control in the front.

That was at about 11pm and I called it quits for the day. I am beginning to think that the ground wire is chaffed in one of the door joints. Will inspect more this afternoon. Thanks,

Quick Reply: Where does this ground wire go??