Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

where do these plug in - connectors and hoses

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2016, 04:39 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default where do these plug in - connectors and hoses

00 xj trying to figure out where some of these connectors go. Your help is appreciated! Most of these connectors are from the engine harness and I believe go to the trans due to the wiring length.
Attached Images          
Old 10-25-2016, 08:32 PM

1st pic = PCV valve = goes to
2nd pic = coolant temp sensor
3rd pic = goes to coolant temp sensor
4th pic = ??? and what looks like an 02 sensor connector
5th pic = ???
6th pic = attaches to airbox lid
7th pic = ????
8th pic = ????
9th pic = round one looks like another 02 sensor connector. The other two...????

My '00 is my daily driver. Mine is 49 state emissions...not sure if yours is 49 or 50 state. I'll look under the hood of mine tomorrow and see if I can figure out what the other connectors go to.
Old 10-26-2016, 06:18 AM

Not sure if your first sentence got cut off.
Also the plug on the end of the fuel injector rail won't stretch to that connector on the coolant housing, and the connector isn't the right shape if I remember correctly.
4th pic is an O2 sensor plug (round) it seems like and the other plug I'm not sure but theres about 2 feet of wiring and it starts from the engine harness where it connects to the other main harness behind the head/valvecover.
5th picture is a round black thing where a vacuum hose likely connects to the nipple in the center - located passenger side by the firewall/heater hoses
7th picture is a plug that comes from the harness that plugs in near the rear passenger side of the head. The other connectors are the oil press sensor plug and cam sensor plug i believe.
8th picture is a 2 blade connector located behind the AC condenser (silver canister on passenger side)
9th pic if thats the O2 sensor the other two likely connect at the speed sensor? or somewhere on the trans/transfer

Thanks for the rest of the help to come. Let me know if you need any other info

Last edited by Billy Bee; 10-26-2016 at 07:46 AM.
Old 10-26-2016, 09:18 AM
Banned

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Year: 2000
Model: Cherokee(XJ)
Engine: Golen 4.6L

There's something odd here, and maybe you need to provide more information. You say it's a 2000, but I believe I see a heater control valve on the passenger side of the motor. The 2000 didn't have a heater control valve. Are you swapping an engine from one year into a body from another? If so, it might help to know the years of the body and motor, because some of the connectors changed from year to year.

That breather at the rear of the valve cover has a bent plastic tube that runs to a vacuum fitting on top of the intake manifold. They don't make that plastic tube any more, so you can either source one from a junk yard or use vacuum hose. Pic from my 2000:

This is how my temperature sender attaches on my 2000. If your connectors don't match up, is it because of your mismatched years?

This thing you've posted is the vacuum fitting for the heater control valve. Like I said, a 2000 doesn't have an HCV. On earlier XJs, there's a vacuum line that runs to that thing, but I'm not sure where it goes. Those things are prone to breaking, and it's a common mod to just delete them altogether and replace them with '97+ hoses. Even the earlier XJs don't actually need it.

In contrast, here's what my 2000 XJ's passenger side engine bay looks like. Notice that the heater hoses go directly into the firewall and not to a plastic doofus that likes to break and spew coolant all over the place. You can buy those hoses and just delete that junk.

For the other connectors not yet identified, you may want to go visit a junk yard and look for a body that is the same year as your wiring harness, then see where those connections mate up. I would take pics to help me remember. Then see if you the reason you can't find the mates for those connectors is because they changed.
Old 10-26-2016, 09:39 AM
Banned

Also, I'm pretty sure that the round connectors in these two pics are O2 sensor connectors.

This can get complicated, because 2000 XJs had either two (EPA emissions) or four (CA emissions) O2 sensors. You can tell which one you're supposed to have by looking at the sticker on the firewall directly in front of the driver. It will say "This vehicle conforms to..." and then specify US EPA emissions or California emissions.

If it's a 2000 body with CA emissions, all four sensors will be in the front on the driver's side, before and after the precats in the downpipe under the exhaust manifold.

If it's a 2000 body with EPA emissions OR a '99 or earlier body, you will have one sensor toward the front in the crossover pipe near or under the firewall. The other sensor will be toward the rear behind the single catalytic converter. The wiring for the rear sensor runs along the transmission tunnel and has a little shelf up in the tunnel to keep the connector from falling down and getting fouled in the drive shaft. If that's what you have, I would lace that wiring down the transmission tunnel and see if the other connectors in that loom don't make themselves obvious.

So in addition to the questions about engine year and body year, it might help if you also tell us what you swapped with the motor. Did you just swap the long block and use the manifold and exhaust that were with the body? Or did you bring in the exhaust manifold and downpipe with it?
Old 10-26-2016, 04:43 PM

96 block, 00 body US EPA not CA emissions I believe. I figured out the plug on the coolant thing a the front of the engine. I got a 2000 one to swap so the plug will fit.

What/how do I delete the plastic doofus thing? Im assuming you're referring to the heater control thing that has the vacuum nipple in the center?

Also thanks for the information and help I appreciate it!
Old 10-26-2016, 06:58 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Billy Bee
96 block, 00 body US EPA not CA emissions I believe.
This makes sense now. For those other connectors not yet identified, I would head out to a junk yard, find a 2000 and see what those are plugged into. You may run into additional connectors that changed from '96 to '00, since some connectors are even different from '99 to '00.

Originally Posted by Billy Bee
What/how do I delete the plastic doofus thing? Im assuming you're referring to the heater control thing that has the vacuum nipple in the center?
Look again at the last pic of my engine bay (posted again below). See the two heater hoses running alongside the valve cover above the coil rail? They go directly to the fittings in the firewall rather than into an HCV. You should be able to get a set of '97+ heater hoses just like mine and install them just like that, completely bypassing that waste of space HCV.

That thing was an AMC brain fart that was supposed to cut off the flow of hot coolant to the heater core, thus allegedly helping the interior to be cooler when the heater was off. However, if your blend door is working properly, it's just redundant. The real problem was that heat, time and vibration worked against the plastic and would eventually break it, spewing hot coolant all over the engine compartment and causing the vehicle to overheat. For some reason they made a metal one for the 4-cylinder version that wouldn't break, but it was still unnecessary. Chrysler did away with it altogether in the '97 refresh.

And nobody missed it.

Last edited by extrashaky; 10-26-2016 at 07:03 PM.
Old 10-26-2016, 07:12 PM

Yeah, had a brainfart and forgot to finish that first line.

8th picture is a 2 blade connector located behind the AC condenser (silver canister on passenger side)
The only things in that area on mine are the evap purge solenoid connector and a wheel speed sensor connector(for ABS). What you're calling the condenser is the drier...it's supposed to capture and hold any moisture(water) that is in the system. The condenser is in front of the radiator.
Old 10-29-2016, 09:14 AM

Ok so in pic 5 and pic 7 you can see the same connector, I'm an idiot and forgot i unplugged my coil pack. In pic 9 the 3rd plug with blue (3 prong female) still has no where to go. However on the end of the transmission there is a 3 prong male end for a sensor? but they don't match up. Any ideas?

The 2 blade connector by for the blower I'm assuming connects to the drier or something, haven't installed it yet. Everything else is connected.

Last edited by Billy Bee; 10-29-2016 at 10:52 AM.