Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

when interior lights are on i lose gauges and radio...help?

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2013, 11:07 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 2000
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0 l6
Default when interior lights are on i lose gauges and radio...help?

This problem happened to me a couple days ago my 99 Cherokee had a JVC headunit in it and the radio stopped working out of no where. I started the truck but the radio kept coming on and shutting right off soi ripped it out and put the stock head unit into it. I wired the radio properly and soldered the wires and heatshrinked over it so I know it wasn't that but when the interior lights are on the gauges and mileage go out along with the radio. Close the door or flip the headlight switch to turn the interior lights off and the gauges come back on and work along with the radio I pulled the interior light switch out and checked the plug and wiring and switch everything looks fine and with the switch unplugged the problem still occurs any idea what this can be anyone?
Old 11-05-2013, 11:22 AM

Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 4.0

Not sure if this will help you, but on my 89 the ignition switch was really worn out.
The voltage was dropping so much when I was using the blower or the windshield wipers that the truck sometimes shut off.
I replaced the switch and everything went back to normal, voltage drops a bit when using the blower, but not as much as before

I have installed thousands or car stereos, and the behavior you are seen is coming from the line used to feed the stereo, the voltage is dropping and not being enough to feed the stereo appropriately, the stereo shuts off due to the lack of voltage.

Check your wiring, if you have a multimeter you can check the voltage at the stereo harness and verify if it is dropping below 12V.

If that is the case, then you will need to find the weak spot, it can be at the ignition switch like my case, or in the fuse box.

Hope this helps!
Old 11-05-2013, 12:17 PM
CF Veteran

Received 82 Likes on 67 Posts
Year: 1999
Engine: 4.0

Originally Posted by IlltaketheJeep
This problem happened to me a couple days ago my 99 Cherokee had a JVC headunit in it and the radio stopped working out of no where. I started the truck but the radio kept coming on and shutting right off soi ripped it out and put the stock head unit into it. I wired the radio properly and soldered the wires and heatshrinked over it so I know it wasn't that but when the interior lights are on the gauges and mileage go out along with the radio. Close the door or flip the headlight switch to turn the interior lights off and the gauges come back on and work along with the radio I pulled the interior light switch out and checked the plug and wiring and switch everything looks fine and with the switch unplugged the problem still occurs any idea what this can be anyone?
Are you sure you have the radio ground wire (14 ga. Black) hooked up properly?

The radio, instrument cluster, headlamp switch, and ignition switch, all share the same ground at G108, which is located to the right of the glove box opening, on the dash structure. It could be a bad radio ground.

The Ignition Off Draw (IOD) fuse in the PDC powers the radio, interior dome lights, and instrument cluster (among others). Check the IOD fuse in the PDC to make sure it's a 15 amp fuse. The IOD fuse location is shown on the inside of the PDC cover.
Old 11-05-2013, 01:38 PM
CF Veteran

Received 22 Likes on 22 Posts
Year: 1989 xj sport 2dr
Engine: 12 hole bosch Injectors

I had similar issue fuse was not getting good contact in fuse box installed new quality fuses cured my issues.
Old 11-10-2013, 02:57 PM

Engine: 4.0 l6

Ok if anyone expierences this problem since I couldn't find it anywhere ill explain what happened. apperently who ever I bought this jeep from had to of either sunk it or it was on the beach...I pulled the fuses out they all had corrosion so I figured the fuse box was corroded also so I pulled that out (very easy to do.) And half the fuse block was legit green. So I wire bushed , nail filed , and electronics cleaned the whole thing put it back in. Still nothing! There is a very big plug that plugs into the fuse box using a 10mm bolt I shook that harness and I got everything working on and off. So I went to the junkyard ripped that harness out (whole under dash wiring harness) and a New fuse box that was in excellent shape and about 3 hrs of work later these two conponets got m. Blinkers working, my reverse lights working , the dash and interior lights and radio all working like New. Andeven made my check engine go off and made the truck run 10 times better! Now the only issue it has now that it didn't before is the windshield wipers when u shut them off they stick in the location they were in when the switch gets turned off instead of goog down they worked fine before any ideas?