Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Wheels falling off? Am I crazy?

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2011, 02:27 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1995
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default Wheels falling off? Am I crazy?

I'm curious if there is an "official" wheel instillation guide? I recently found my front wheel to only have 3 wheels studs and the lugs on the three studs were loose?! I have never heard of this problem before, and needless to say, it's very unsettling.

I've noticed a lot of threads about peoples wheels falling off along with bunches of posts about what the culprit could be. The general consensus is overtightened lugs, but I'm curious if there is any verification to this? I've never heard of this causing studs to break off? I have new studs I'm putting in tomorrow and I want to make sure the root of this problem is fixed. Sounds like kind of a dumb post, but I would much prefer to be overly cautious about this than watch my wheel fly past my car at 50mph.

Thanks
Old 01-12-2011, 03:03 AM
Seasoned Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Were the wheels torqued properly? If not, that could cause a wobble, which can lead to stud/lug failure, and or a wheel coming off. Was it in a shop recently for any brake/suspension/tire work?
Old 01-12-2011, 05:40 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

x2, have you had it serviced latley?? I would be mystified if you were just missing two studs and the others were loose with no reason? I had loose lugs after a tire install and the jeep wobbled like mad until I tightened them up.

When you get it fixed, make sure the torque is around 80-100 ft/lbs. If you have aluminum wheels recheck them after 50-ish miles
Old 01-12-2011, 08:18 AM
CF Veteran

Received 22 Likes on 22 Posts
Year: 1989 xj sport 2dr
Engine: 12 hole bosch Injectors

ever body put to much emphasis on torque lug nuts ,check to make sure the lug holes in rim are not egg shapped ,this is the number one reason that tight lugs will come loose if they were tight,a nother reason is you got any body mad at you latley,justy a thought neighbor ,some body at work or school,
Old 01-12-2011, 02:51 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1995

lol, I hope no one is mad at me, but it's a thought haha.

I will check the holes in the wheels tho, that is a good point. They are aftermarket American Racing wheels, so they are newer and made by a trusted brand.

I am hesitant to say that I do 95% of my own work on my jeep and I guess thats why I'm a little more concerned with this. This is definitely NOT my first car and I have 1000's of hours working on cars and I have never had this problem/heard of it before the heep... oh I mean Jeep. It just seems strange that it would happen on a road only vehicle? I would think that there would be another component that would fail before the studs just as a safety precaution? I dont whip it around corners or drive it very fast at all, if anything I'm usually the slowest one at a stoplight. I also have a 94 Z28 and it's right around 375-380 horses and I've never had or heard of anyone breaking wheel studs.... maybe if they had some steam roller slicks on it?

I guess it's just one of those things I'm going to have to live with. I just wanted to make sure that there wasnt some vehicle specific weird thing that jeeps need to keep the wheels on haha.

Thanks, I will double check the 80-100lbs torque on the rest
Old 01-12-2011, 02:58 PM
CF Veteran

Received 22 Likes on 22 Posts
Year: 1989 xj sport 2dr
Engine: 12 hole bosch Injectors

Originally Posted by freegdr
ever body put to much emphasis on torque lug nuts ,check to make sure the lug holes in rim are not egg shapped ,this is the number one reason that tight lugs will come loose if they were tight,a nother reason is you got any body mad at you latley,justy a thought neighbor ,some body at work or school,
checking to make sure the correct lugs are being used for the rim application should be checked also