Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Wheel still dragging after New Calipers

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2013, 09:51 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 2000
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default Wheel still dragging after New Calipers

Howdy!

Here goes my current situation with the XJ, hoping someone can give me some feedback.
I have had multiple cars and bikes, installed Big Brake kits and never had any issues with brakes before. so not a total noob.

I went ahead and replaced the Front calipers with the Centric Loaded calipers. I believe that they come with SemiMetallic pad. And resurfaced the rotors since they had plenty of material left. According to the previous owner receipts. The previous Brake Job was done at Lambs. Pads cost way over $100 and the rotors were $80 each.

After the caliper install I went to do the bedding procedure and I noticed that the Jeep would pull hard to the left ..I did 8-10 stops and enough time to let the rotors cool down before I parked it.

The next day I l checked the rear drums. Plenty of shoe material left and everything looks to be Ok. I even went ahead and did a drum adjustment on the rears.

So I took it out for another spin around the block and it would still pull to the left under hard braking. Not during slow braking conditions tho. So I went home and lifted the front axle to check the if the drivers side wheel was dragging. Turns out that the left wheel spins freely but not so much the passenger side wheel. Jeep drives straight and has same tire pressure all around. What else could I check? Could I have had a bad caliper? Any help would be appreciated.

Previous post for reference:
https://www.cherokeeforum.com/f2/fro...estion-171347/

Last edited by puredrive; 06-19-2013 at 09:54 AM.
Old 06-19-2013, 09:54 AM
CF Veteran

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Year: 1987
Engine: Check

Bad hubs?

Old 06-19-2013, 10:04 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Engine: 4.0L

Mine did that as well. Pulled when under hard braking after new calipers/pads/rotors. Turns out that I had a colapsed brake line that would not release the pressure from the calipers. Some new hoses, problem solved. They're cheap, worth a try.
Old 06-19-2013, 10:43 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Engine: 4.0

Originally Posted by ThatAintStock00
Mine did that as well. Pulled when under hard braking after new calipers/pads/rotors. Turns out that I had a colapsed brake line that would not release the pressure from the calipers. Some new hoses, problem solved. They're cheap, worth a try.

But mine are less then 2yrs old-and I did check them. Got the extended OEM lines when I lifted the Jeep. I'll check again.

Originally Posted by Gee oh Dee
Bad hubs?

I'll try to get a short video-maybe I'm just being overly picky on this.

Last edited by puredrive; 06-19-2013 at 10:45 AM.