Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Whats your technique for 4WD in the snow?

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2018, 02:26 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1992
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default Whats your technique for 4WD in the snow?

We had a nice snow fall recently and I found making turns a bit sketchy while in Full time 4wd. I'm an accomplished snow driver, although kali weather has spoiled me over time.

I'm running good tread depth GY Wranglers. Speeds are 25-35 mph tops. Yet when negotiating a turn, the back end keeps trying to over-take the front.

Is this a design issue with shortwheel bases?

Are the stock differentials needing an upgrade?

Or do I need to just slow down?
Old 02-25-2018, 04:11 PM
CF Veteran

Received 456 Likes on 369 Posts
Year: 1997
Model: Cherokee(XJ)

I don't have that problem when in 4x4, try part time instead of full time and see what happens.
Old 02-25-2018, 05:16 PM
CF Veteran

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Year: 1999

Originally Posted by 00t444e
I don't have that problem when in 4x4, try part time instead of full time and see what happens.
x2

also, what specific tire do you have? Goodyears whole lineupof trick/suv tires are wranglers buy each has another name thatfollows. Truthfully, the wrangler lineup is mostly bad, and dependingon the tire you have, that couldbe a partial part of your issue. But trypart time first.
Old 02-25-2018, 05:23 PM
CF Veteran

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts
Year: My Jeep is a GMC

Originally Posted by MtnGoat
Yet when negotiating a turn, the back end keeps trying to over-take the front.
Driving too fast and braking too hard.
Just leave it in 2wd till you get stuck then use 4wd to back out. If you get it stuck in 4wd you ain't going nowhere.
Old 02-25-2018, 05:35 PM
CF Veteran

Received 26 Likes on 26 Posts
Year: 01, 99, 98, 98,98

I've had a few incidences like that in the past. Never an accident or damage. There are times when the front will push. Probably more of a tire issue.
Old 02-25-2018, 05:57 PM

Thanks for your comments guys. Now correct me if I'm wrong here
Part time is the way to go if the surface remains loose to keep from breaking the nylon gear in the xfer case. I've done this once before.

This 92 is my DD/Service vehicle I use for a mobile service. The Goodyear Wrangler Radials may not be the best snow mud tire, but they do offer a bit more than most of the "compromise" designs.

What are your opinions as to top speed in Part Time? 20-30-40?
Old 02-25-2018, 06:35 PM
CF Veteran

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts
Year: My Jeep is a GMC

If you can drive 20+mph you don't need 4wd.
Old 02-25-2018, 06:36 PM

Received 33 Likes on 23 Posts

Had this same issue in full time early this week. My assumption was nature of the beast because it is a remarkably light weight vehicle especially in the rear . Mine would upshift even when going slow and very careful and try to slide around on me I was able to drive it out the 3-4 times it happened . I should add I’m on the same tires as you and am very experienced in ice/snow and run tow trucks in this stuff and never had a vehicle do that quite that bad.

Last edited by GreaseMonkey17; 02-25-2018 at 06:38 PM.
Old 02-25-2018, 06:57 PM
IJM
CF Veteran

Received 274 Likes on 205 Posts
Year: 1998
Model: Cherokee (XJ)

We had a nice snow fall recently and I found making turns a bit sketchy while in Full time 4wd. I'm an accomplished snow driver, although kali weather has spoiled me over time.

I'm running good tread depth GY Wranglers. Speeds are 25-35 mph tops. Yet when negotiating a turn, the back end keeps trying to over-take the front.

Is this a design issue with shortwheel bases?

Are the stock differentials needing an upgrade?

Or do I need to just slow down?
You might have crappy tires, but usually that just lowers the overall level of grip rather than changing the handling balance (oversteer vs. understeer) dramatically. When you get that oversteer when "negotiating a turn", are you generally entering the turn, exiting, the turn, or somewhere in the middle when it happens. What are you doing with your feet when it happens? Still braking as you enter the turn (trail braking), off the throttle completely mid-corner, getting into the throttle a decent amount exiting the turn (wheeee!), or what? Or does it just seem to be very tail happy at all times?

I've got the NP231 in mine, and I'll generally leave it in 4HI (part-time) when driving on snow-covered roads. Partly because there's more control in 4WD (particularly in the turns), and partly for fun since I like to drive like a rally driver when I can (relax, I've got lots of experience driving race cars). I'll comfortably drive at 60+ mph in part-time as long as the road is covered with snow.
Old 02-25-2018, 07:23 PM
CF Veteran

Part time is the way to go if the surface remains loose to keep from breaking the nylon gear in the xfer case. I've done this once before.

This 92 is my DD/Service vehicle I use for a mobile service. The Goodyear Wrangler Radials may not be the best snow mud tire, but they do offer a bit more than most of the "compromise" designs.

There is an issue right there. The radials are some of thee worst tires out there. Selling tires for a living currently, i can say these tires are bad. They dont offer squat except that they are cheap. I am probably the resiedent hater of these tires but i do not care. I wouldnt recommend them to any customer of mine so i wont recommend them to my fellow jeepers on here haha.

aside from my rambling/ranting above, posts above mine give sound advice. The cali lifestyle has probably rusted your snow driving capabilities more then you think. My uncle was the same way haha.
Old 02-25-2018, 07:28 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by GreaseMonkey17
Had this same issue in full time early this week. My assumption was nature of the beast because it is a remarkably light weight vehicle especially in the rear . Mine would upshift even when going slow and very careful and try to slide around on me I was able to drive it out the 3-4 times it happened . I should add I’m on the same tires as you and am very experienced in ice/snow and run tow trucks in this stuff and never had a vehicle do that quite that bad.
combination of tires and lightweight i would say. Wrangler radials are only made in 1 size. A size extremely popukar with cherokees and therefore a common option. They just dont have the compound or tread design needed for light vehicles in wet conditions from everyrhing ive seen. A gentlman even came in a few days ago and sold me his practically brand new set for $80 because he had a similair experience to you. He leftwith bfg ko2s haha talk about a complete 180.
Old 02-25-2018, 07:52 PM

Received 33 Likes on 23 Posts

Martlor that was my assumption I had similar experiences I remembered in my fathers TJ several years ago on the ice/snow with same tires looking back.
Old 02-25-2018, 08:53 PM
CF Veteran

Received 456 Likes on 369 Posts
Year: 1997

There is no nylon gears in the transfer case, the reason you don't want to run part time on a high traction surface is because since the transfer case is locked when turning it won't allow for the front and rear to turn at different speeds, which causes binding and the tires will chirp. In 4x4 high you can go as fast as you want to on a hard surface as long as you are going straight.
Old 02-25-2018, 10:41 PM
CF Veteran

Received 234 Likes on 207 Posts
Year: 1995
Engine: I6 4.0L

I think I've used 4wL maybe 3 or 4 times over 20 years and 3 Jeeps in the snowy north east.
I usually just throw it in 4wH when it's snowy and take it out when it's just a dusting or the roads have been treated. I most often use 4wH to get out of my dirt driveway.
Old 02-26-2018, 11:53 AM

Originally Posted by IJM
You might have crappy tires, but usually that just lowers the overall level of grip rather than changing the handling balance (oversteer vs. understeer) dramatically. When you get that oversteer when "negotiating a turn", are you generally entering the turn, exiting, the turn, or somewhere in the middle when it happens. What are you doing with your feet when it happens? Still braking as you enter the turn (trail braking), off the throttle completely mid-corner, getting into the throttle a decent amount exiting the turn (wheeee!), or what? Or does it just seem to be very tail happy at all times?
Listening to everyones comments tells me these Wranglers are not the best choice. Cheap and good dont always go hand in hand.

When entering the turn <20mph, using slow smooth steering inputs the front will immediately start to push. Lifting off the throttle slightly only increases the push. (auto trans) Using the brakes (left foot) to slow helps.

The rear will get loose at any point which I have attributed to weight, so keeping the tank full helps greatly.

Keeping the factory 15" steel wheels is preferred so time to start shopping for tires..

Quick Reply: Whats your technique for 4WD in the snow?