Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

What's That Thing Hanging From The Engine?

Old 09-04-2012, 07:48 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1996
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 2.5l
Default What's That Thing Hanging From The Engine?

Greetings fellow Jeepers! (I guess since I now own a jeep I can say that.) Anyway, it seems that I am now in the possession of a 1996 Jeep Cherokee 2 door with a 2.5l engine and manual transmission. (Runs great, I might add.) Though the title bears my name and I'm paying the insurance, the jeep belongs (sorta) to one of my, away at college, sons. While he was home this past weekend we noticed that the serpentine belt was a littly crackly along the teeth so we decided to replace it. It took me about 5 minutes on my 2001 firbird so I expected it to be easy! WRONG! First, I found out that this vechicle doesn't really have a spring type belt tensioner. Once we figured out how to release the tension it was still pretty hard to get the belt off and the new one on without removing the tensioner pully entirely. (That created it's own problems. We couldn't figure out why the pulley wasn't turning very well until we discovered the spacer on the ground under the vehicle. Go figure!) Once we got everything back together, started the jeep, then tightened the belt a little more (squeeeeek) we thought everything was fine. However, after about two miles on the road we heard a strange rattle coming from under the hood. It turns out that the a section of the belt, a single strand from the innermost edge, sheared off the belt completely and became entangled around the fan shaft! The rattle was the rubber "thread" spinning around and hitting the fan shroud. I'm not sure what happened, the belt was on fine, per the routing guide, and exactly where it was supposed to be along it's path. On top of that, we discovered some kind of connector hanging next to the power steering pump. It appears to connect to a silver tube running to the pump. (I have no doubt that we must have unwittingly knocked it loose trying to put the pulley back on..) After some research I'm guessing it's the power steering pressure switch?? It's been hard finding an example on-line to compare it to. I believe I see where it connects but I'll be darned if I can figure out what holds it on. There is a plastic clamp sort of device attaced to the connector but when it's clamped down it doesn't appear to hold onto anything! Any advice on the belt and/or the connector would be greatly appreciated. I am a member of another sight relating to my Firebird and, never having held a wrench before, was able to replace the upper and lower intake manifold gaskets with the expertise and advise of folks like yourself! (I guess you could say I'm the worst kind of noob there is. I still don't know anything but, after my recent success, am not afraid to tear into it.) If you guys are half as awesome as they are, I'm sure you can help me. (What am I saying, you guys drive jeeps...no, WE drive jeeps, WE are AWESOME!)

Last edited by Rayzor442; 09-04-2012 at 07:51 PM.
Old 09-04-2012, 08:14 PM
CF Veteran

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Year: 1995
Engine: 2.5 4 cyl.

not sure what to tell you on the belt.I might would take that belt back where you got it and get it replaced.. never heard of that happening before besides on a wore out belt. The next time you need the belt removed, the easiest way is to take loose the AC compressor (4 bolts) and pick up on it a little to take the tension off. That's how I do mine every time, and I have the 2.5 as well.

The plug or sensor on the power steering tube your talking about has been disconnected on my jeep for a good 2 years now. I've yet to figure out what the hell it is, as its apparently not necessary for the power steering to function. I personally just wouldnt worry with it.

Last edited by xj_maniac_newb; 09-04-2012 at 08:23 PM.
Old 09-04-2012, 08:23 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 99
Engine: 4.0

I could never read all this^^ lol
Old 09-04-2012, 08:30 PM

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Year: 1993
Engine: 4.0

I'd guess that the belt was not positioned correctly on one of the pulleys and it sliced that section of the belt off. I've seen that done before. I'm not sure of the 2.5's tensioner but you guys make it sound awefully difficult.

Get a new belt, install it and make sure it's positioned correctly on each pulley.

Also, stand beside the engine and make sure all the pulley's are in line with each other.
Old 09-04-2012, 08:57 PM

I just replaced the S belt in my 96 4.0 and it took all of 6 minutes maybe the 2.5 is more difficult?
Old 09-09-2012, 03:36 PM

Year: 1996
Engine: 2.5l

Okay, I exchanged the belt for a new one... oddly enough the new one was not in it's original package but I have been assured it's the same part. When I pointed out that it doesn't look like the first belt we verified the part number printed on the belt. The old belt had larger "teeth" and seemed more rubbery. The new belt has very short "teeth" and appears more rugged. (sounds dubious to me...) The belt went on easily and not a squeak was heard when I started the car. However, it sounds louder under the hood then it did before. I don't see anything rubbing and everything that is supposed to be spinning is spinning. I checked the idler pulleys a when I had the belt off and they seemed to be spinning freely. (Isn't there supposed to be a little resistance on them?) Everything appears to be lined up. It's hard to pinpoint where the noise is coming from. My son mentioned that his battery light came on for a few a moment or two last week so of course my imagination has the sound coming from the alternator. But, then again, we did take off that pulley near the power steering pump; maybe we didn't put it back right so now my imagination has the sound coming from there.....
Old 09-09-2012, 05:10 PM
CF Veteran

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Year: 1995
Engine: 2.5 4 cyl.

The 2.5 uses the power steering as the tensioner, and at the position its in its wayyyy easier and faster to just unbolt the AC.

What does the noise sound like? And the idler pulley is fine if its not making noise. It'd leave it alone until it wails, for on the 2.5 you have to take loose and move over the AC as far as it can go, then drop the alternator (however all you have to do is let it hang by the wires and rest against the engine mount if I'm thinking correctly) Not a hard job, just very time consuming to find out that particular info on your own.

Last edited by xj_maniac_newb; 09-09-2012 at 05:17 PM.