Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

what's this steering sound? (Video)

Old 06-19-2017, 07:33 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1999
Model: Cherokee
Default what's this steering sound? (Video)

I'm trying to diagnose a squeak sound when I slightly turn the steering wheel in either direction. It does it engine off or on. It sounds like it's coming right from the steering box. Below is a YouTube gideo I uploaded of it.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=cXahETLHXAQ
Old 06-19-2017, 09:07 PM
CF Veteran

Received 333 Likes on 277 Posts
Year: 1997
Engine: 4.0L

Balljoints, maybe? Have someone turn the wheel while you listen underneath. Block the wheels or set the brake. Or both.
Old 06-19-2017, 10:02 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had somebody turn the wheel as i listened and it really sounds like its coming from the steering box or at least that area up there. It just seems like odd noise for a steering box to make and I dont know if that means its going bad or what. The other issue, maybe related, maybe not, when going down a dirt road over washboard either straight or slightly turning right, it feels like something is clunking and loose down there and it goes away if i slightly turn the wheel to the left. I feel it on my feet on the floor board. Ive had that before and replaced the bushings in my control arms which fixed it. I replaced them again after experiencing this same noise/feeling but its still there. Again this might be something completely unrelated to the squeal in the video.
Old 06-19-2017, 10:43 PM
CF Veteran

Received 623 Likes on 465 Posts
Year: 1998
Model: Cherokee(XJ)
Engine: 4.0L

check the upper track bar mount. I had a sound coming from that area and thats what the problem was. mine was more of a popping but its something to take a look at.

also maybe the steering box is coming loose? since it makes the sound without it needing to be started have someone turn the wheel to make the sound and just start holding your hand on everything. if you are lucky it will make enough vibrations you can feel where its coming from
Old 06-20-2017, 06:29 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Engine: 4.0

Yeah, man, you gotta get down there and put your hands on things while someone else moves the steering wheel. You should be able to feel it.