Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

What's the best way?

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2010, 02:03 PM
Seasoned Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1996
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default What's the best way?

I'm looking to add some aux lights to the jeep but don't know the best way to go about wiring them up. I am planning on two fogs on the front bumper, four driving lights on top, and two more fogs on the back as reverse lights. I would like to use relays for all of them to ensure they get as much juice as possible to them and I want each "area" to be on a seperate switch (three switches). What would be the best way to wire all of these up? A diagram would be awesome if anybody has one!
Old 02-20-2010, 02:44 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ok, this is how I would do it.

Attach 3 wires from battery, or main distrabution power point, with seperate fuses as close to that point as possable.

Then wire them to the battery + terminal of your 3 mounted relays.

Ground your relays to the body, I usually do this with a short jumper wire from the mounting bolt or screw.

Then from the switched power terminal of the relay run your wires to the desired lights.

Ground your lights to the body.

Now for the three switches.

First grab power for the three switches from a ACC power supply. (wire that has power then key is turned on, and no power when key is turned off) There used to be a terminal on the fusebox for acc.

Revers lights I would set up to turn on with the reverse lights, But you could run them to a toggle swich if you desired, or make it work either way by using diodes.

Roof lights I would just wire from acc power to the switch to the relay.
Make shure its a lighted switch so that you know then they are on!

Front driving/fog lights I would run right from your parking lights to the relay so any time your marker lights are on, your fogs are too.
But if you dont wire it that way, and you want a switch, then the next best way is to wire from parking lights, to the swich, to the relay.
You could also wire from acc to switch to relay, But then your foglights could be on withought your parking lights.
"Technically your fogs should be wired from headlights on low beam only to your switch, then to the relay so what the fogs can never be on with the hi beams."
Old 02-20-2010, 05:56 PM
Seasoned Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I was wanting each "area" to be on a seperate switch and not triggered by anything thing else. Only on when I want them on. The main question I have is how I would wire the four driving lights on top. Do I just need one relay for these and do I just run a power to the + on the first one then run a wire from that one to the + on the next one and so on. Then just ground each one seperately? I'm kinda lost!