Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Whats the best 4.0 rebuild kit?

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2014, 08:48 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Year: 1989
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default Whats the best 4.0 rebuild kit?

Hey guys i just bought a 93 2 dr xj 4.0. The motor is gona need to be rebuilt on it. Im going to start pulling it this weekend and I was just woundering whats the best complete rebuild kit yall have used for the 4.0 ? ive been looking at a few difrent ones just undesided and wanted to get a cuple opinions befor spending 300 to 450 on one im not looking for the cheapest rout just looking for quality and im planning on doing all the work my self minuse the machining part. Thanks

Last edited by john deer green; 01-21-2014 at 08:49 AM. Reason: typo
Old 01-21-2014, 09:22 AM
Seasoned Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1998

Don't buy any of those "rebuild kits" because you won't be able to tell if their quality parts. Even though your not doing a stroker, go to jeepstrokers.com and look into what parts they recommend getting( most of them are just stock replacements anyway). You'll probably reuse your crankshaft, piston rods, and cam. So just get regular aluminum pistons and rings in a .030" overbore( or more depending on the wear of the cylinder walls). Fel-pro gaskets all the way around. Get new lifters(don't cheap out on these). A new timing set wouldn't be a bad idea if yours wasn't recently replaced. Freeze plugs are a must. I bought ARP rod bolts(not smart to reuse the old ones). Oil pump should be replaced. I decided to get a new water pump because my old one was on its way out(trust me you can tell just by looking at it). Should be ok to reuse factory rockers, springs, pins and pushrods. Have your cylinder head and block checked at a shop for cracks. You don't want to start working on a block/head that's already cracked just to figure it out after you've put everything together. I assume you have machinery capable of boring out a block since you're doing this in your shop? If not you definitely need to find a good shop to do the boring and magna fluxing. Of course check the strokers site for brands of the bearings you'll need. I think that's about it.
Old 01-21-2014, 09:28 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 86/91/92
Model: Comanche

As suggested above, read through jeepstrokers.com. Once you have a general direction you want to take with the motor, take it to the machine shop and discuss your plans with them.
Old 01-21-2014, 09:32 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Year: 1989
Engine: 4.0

Hey man thanks for the realy good info. I was leaning tward the kit but wasnt sure deffantly going to take ur advice tho becouse I wasnt sure how good of a quality the kits realy were. im gona be sending the block and head to a shop to get checked and all the machine work done I wont be doing any of that.