Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

What is the right lift pkg and other updates

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2009, 12:13 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 2000
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default What is the right lift pkg and other updates

Looking for some suggestions from the experts regarding lifting my 2000 Cherokee Limited.

The time has come to install new tires, brakes, shocks, etc (105,000 miles). While doing this maintenance, I want to install a lift kit and some taller tires.

This vehicle will be towed behind my bus and/or driven primarily on the street and interstate.

I want to lift the Cherokee to improve its ride and appearance. The taller tires will provide for better traction in snow and wet conditions. Rarely will it go Off-roading. This vehicle is used in my catastrophic claims adjusting business, so mainly street.

There are so many choices in packages by Rough Country, Rubicon Express, Rancho, Skyjacker, Old Man Emu, TeraFlex, Superlift, and on and on…. Its intimidating with all the choices.

I need the advice of an expert with this decision.

My wants:
ü 3-4 ½ “ Suspension Lift
ü 31” tall ALL TERRAIN tires that will mount on my factory 16” rims and provide for no/low noise, good dry-wet-snow traction, good highway ride, relatively light weight tires so as not to compromise the limited power of the stock 4.0L.
ü NO Vibration and U-Joint problems
ü A complete list of pieces that will be necessary COMPLETE the lift kit(including brake lines, etc)
ü Great shocks that will provide for a good ride and last indefinitely
ü Will want all new rear leaf springs, not just adding a leaf
ü Would prefer grease able shackle pins
ü Would prefer to replace stock front end bushings with new stock bushings(for better road noise, vibration and ride?)
ü What maintenance should I prepare for such as tie rod ends etc?
ü What maintenance or replacements will be needed on the front axle ends?(joints, fluids, kingpins, etc)

Will I need an aftermarket Track Bar?
Will I need (a) different drive shaft(s)?
Will I need a steering Stabilizer?

The brakes will be refreshed at the same time… is there a better brake pad for use when running taller than stock tires? Different Rotors?

At the end of the day, this vehicles suspension and driveline components need to be fully maintenanced, serviced and updated so that there are no surprises while away from home 4-6 weeks at a time.

My cell is 217-971-0036, call me with anything…..

Appreciate you letting me impose on ya for your help!

Jay Darst
Old 12-27-2009, 01:34 PM
CF Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1996

Too many questions. there are 1000's of posts on this site answering parts of that question. Most of what you want depends on what your entended purpose is. 3-4" and 31's is easy and there are about 1000000, complete and trouble free ways to do it, one of them will be right for you. No lift is complete, None are trouble free.. If you want complete and less troubles, ALL suspension and steering and drivetrain components MUST be in perfect condition. Be sure to research driveline vibrations and Death wobble, BEFORE the lift. Problems can be avoided, a perfect lift can be installed, It's all up to you.
Search and read a little, then ask a specific question.
Old 12-27-2009, 02:04 PM

Year: 1997
Engine: I6ho

i don't see the point of lifting a vehicle for your intended purposes.
spend your money on quality shocks, replace your control arm bushings and put some quality 235/75-15's on it and call it done.
Old 12-27-2009, 03:22 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 1996

Originally Posted by Mike H.
i don't see the point of lifting a vehicle for your intended purposes.
spend your money on quality shocks, replace your control arm bushings and put some quality 235/75-15's on it and call it done.
For the best in ride quality, look at Old Man Emu.. For street use you won't need much lift if any to run 31" tires.
Old 12-27-2009, 08:25 PM

Honestly, i think that either RE or RC lifts have the most "bang for the buck"! From what i understand, both kits are complete, less Track Bar and Shocks.

I've got plans on installing a RE 3.5" Super-Flex kit in the spring. I will be installing a JKS Adjustable Track Bar and Sway Bar Disconnects as well.
Haven't decided on shocks yet though!

BTW- Not sure if it's a good idea to post your phone number ANYWHERE on the internet, there's a bunch of sicko's out there, ya know?

Last edited by guest02; 12-27-2009 at 08:34 PM.
Old 12-28-2009, 10:26 AM

Year: 2000

Thanks, appreciate your responses.

My Jeep Cherokee will get a lift and suspension component updates, whatever that may entail.

I have 2 of these Jeeps, 1 I pull behind my bus, the other my 21 year old daughter drives. Both will get the same updates. My daughter has been in a Wrangler since she got her drivers license and now appreciates the quiet, smoother, roomier Cherokee.

Over the years I have had 10 second street cars, 8 second 1/8 mile boats, Dodge and GMC off-road toys, 14 Harley's, etc. They all were done well and properly.

That is the same goal I have for the Cherokees I looked around the forums to see who might well be the experts. I chose this forum to post my question, the posts read as though you all stick to business and know what you are talking about.

The responses of don't waste your time was not what I expected or was looking for.

If someone who has lengthy experience with this application and would like to share information, I certainly would appreciate it. The updates I am requesting information about is pretty straight forward. The vehicle is as stock as the day DaimlerChrysler sent it out the door. The intended use is very straight forward, good lookin street driver with some trail capabilities.

I am a Chrysler-Dodge-Jeep-Buick-GMC-Pontiac Dealer in Illinois and would welcome any questions you may have in that regard.

If there is someone here who wants to take the time to share their knowledge about this project, bring it on! i certainly do appreciate it.

Sincerely,
Jay Darst
Old 12-28-2009, 11:14 AM

Year: 1997
Engine: I6ho

If I were doing a ~4" lift, I would do this...

Rock Krawler XJ 4.5" tripple threat long arm system.
Rock Krawler X factor plus steering
http://www.rockkrawler.com/?r_intro=1

I'd run 11" travel Bilstien 5100's measuring 17-28.

Then You'll want to look at a short shaft SYE kit (I run JB conversions) and double cardan driveshaft (Tom Woods).

To make it look right you'll want to run at least a 33" tire, and you'll want to regear the axles, I would suggest 4.56's for 33's. If you plan to run 35's I would look at 4.88's.

That would make a really nice riding XJ with no vibrations.

There are a bunch of ways to get to 4" lift, but that would be my receipe

Last edited by Mike H.; 12-28-2009 at 11:16 AM.