Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

What oil do you use?

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2013, 11:23 AM
Seasoned Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1994
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L
Default What oil do you use?

Hey everyone, I know there is a view threads concerning this but I actually have a question.

I have been using Valvoline Oil and a WIX filter, so far it has been good and I either for for Valvoline High Mileage (Red Container) or Conventional Valvoline (White Container).

I also always add a quart of Lucas Oil Additive, does the High Mileage Oil make any difference? Is it better?

I don't care about the extra five dollars, I just want to run whatever is going to make my jeep last longer.

Also, what oil do you use? Is there a reason you use it?

I used Castrol GTX once and my dipstick was covered in some sort of weird grimy stuff I still till this day can't figure out what it was, I thought it was rust at first which scared me, but I haven't seen it since I went back to Valvoline.
Old 05-11-2013, 12:38 PM
CF Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1990
Engine: 4.0

normally rotella t6 0w40, because of the added anti-wear components, but i recently tried qs defy 5w30 and i'm not impressed. i'll be switching back. also, after doing some research using the google machine, along with the formal training and experience i have gained so far in life, i would never put anything lucas in my jeep. but thats just me. i know there are lots of additive lovers out there, but i'm not one of them.

have you ever been here? if not, its a good place to waste a couple hours doing some searching, or even join and ask questions.
Old 05-11-2013, 12:42 PM
Seasoned Member

Year: 1996
Model: Cherokee(XJ)

There'll be a thousand and five different ideas on here regarding what's the "right" oil to use. I don't think there really is a good answer; everything I've seen says that the 4.0 will be happy if it has ANY oil in it.

That said... I generally use Quaker State "Defy" or Shell Rotella T5, both in 10W-30. Both are synthetic blend and have, ehrm, "additives" and zinc, which is supposed to be good for these engines.

I generally also throw in a bit of Marvel Mystery Oil, because I'm a sucker.

There're a lot of other factors that'd go into making the engine run longer, I wouldn't worry too much about oil aside from sticking within the specs (10W-30 or thereabouts).
Old 05-11-2013, 12:43 PM
Seasoned Member

Year: 1999

I just use whatever name brand oil is on sale (non synthetic) and a purolator filter
Old 05-11-2013, 12:45 PM

Year: 1998
Engine: 4.0 I6

Originally Posted by hankthetank
i would never put anything lucas in my jeep.
I agree with this, I have read on several different sites that lucas products are no good, and also from personal experience, I would never put anything lucas in my jeep either.

I've been using Valvoline Conventional 5w-30 in my jeep and all of my other vehicles and have never had an issue. I've never tried the high mileage though.
Old 05-11-2013, 12:57 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by Derision
There'll be a thousand and five different ideas on here regarding what's the "right" oil to use. I don't think there really is a good answer; everything I've seen says that the 4.0 will be happy if it has ANY oil in it.

That said... I generally use Quaker State "Defy" or Shell Rotella T5, both in 10W-30. Both are synthetic blend and have, ehrm, "additives" and zinc, which is supposed to be good for these engines.

I generally also throw in a bit of Marvel Mystery Oil, because I'm a sucker.

There're a lot of other factors that'd go into making the engine run longer, I wouldn't worry too much about oil aside from sticking within the specs (10W-30 or thereabouts).
good point about the specs. i don't like the defy, but that's most likely because my motor is getting tired. which ties in nicely with the point made thats theres "a thousand and five different ideas". generally if you stick with a good filter, and a reputable brand you're good to go.

and if you really want to geek out on oil, the link i posted earlier is a great place to start.
Old 05-11-2013, 01:00 PM
CF Veteran

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts
Year: 1997

I use whatever name brand Dino oil I can find on sale (5w30 if possible).

Last edited by s346k; 05-11-2013 at 01:37 PM.
Old 05-11-2013, 01:05 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1991
Engine: 4.0 I-6

I run the Wally-World special and here's why. Back when I driving a truck for a living, I used to have a fairly regular pick up in Shreveport, LA. It was at a place that made motor oil. The first time I back into the dock, I see pallets of just about every brand sitting there ready for shipment. I asked someone about it and they told me that their plant made all the brands and that they were all the same, just a different label. Wal-Mart Super Tech sitting next to QS, next to Valvoline next to Castrol... etc. I used to be a die-hard Valvoline fan as that was what my dad used but since that day, I haven't seen a difference by using the less-expensive Wal-Mart stuff.
Old 05-11-2013, 01:05 PM

Year: 1995
Engine: 4.0 I6

I just put in some Rotella 15w-40 the other day. And stay away from Lucas, expensive, commercial junk.
Old 05-11-2013, 01:08 PM

Year: 1996

10w-30 Mobil 1 synthetic and WIX filter
Old 05-11-2013, 02:59 PM
CF Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1989
Engine: 4.0L I6

For the most part, I run Amsoil AMO which is a 10-40 with added ZDDP and Wix/Napa Gold filter.
If I do not get around to ordering the Amsoil on time, I usually run Pennzoil Platinum/Ultra.
I always sub a quart of MMO for the last of the 6 that go into the 4.0L

I also always keep at least one qt of MMO in my vehicles, as it can be used for more than just engine oil.
Old 05-11-2013, 03:42 PM
CF Veteran

Received 39 Likes on 35 Posts

I run SAE 30 in all of my vehicles, all of them lasted well over 200,000 miles. When I first got my xj, I immediately switched over to SAE 30 and in last 25,000 miles it run perfectly good. People always say it would be harder to start in winters because of how thick it is, but honestly I have never experienced any problems starting, in the xj or any of my vehicles I have owned.

A lot of people have bashed on me about my choice of oil, but my experience showed me that its good to use.

And the guy who said that all oil are the same, He's right. Few companies make all kinds of brands for different vendors, but basically they are mostly the same.
Old 05-11-2013, 04:54 PM
CF Veteran

yeah, I went on a tour of an esso refinery, the warehouse had a lot of different brands in there, like cat, Volvo, ufa, turbo...and some weird stuff that I've never seen that went overseas and to the US. But the fella that took us on tour, told us that while the base stocks are the same, the additive packages can differ greatly between all those brands. He likened it to a recipe, the customer/engineer orders whatever additives in whatever concentrations he wants.
Old 05-11-2013, 05:00 PM
CF Veteran

Received 39 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by hankthetank
yeah, I went on a tour of an esso refinery, the warehouse had a lot of different brands in there, like cat, Volvo, ufa, turbo...and some weird stuff that I've never seen that went overseas and to the US. But the fella that took us on tour, told us that while the base stocks are the same, the additive packages can differ greatly between all those brands. He likened it to a recipe, the customer/engineer orders whatever additives in whatever concentrations he wants.
Yes absolutely, that's why some are pricier than others, depending on the "ingredients" and additives.
To me, I never had problems with SAE 30
Old 05-11-2013, 07:00 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Year: 2004
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 2000 4.0

Originally Posted by scottmphoto
I run the Wally-World special and here's why. Back when I driving a truck for a living, I used to have a fairly regular pick up in Shreveport, LA. It was at a place that made motor oil. The first time I back into the dock, I see pallets of just about every brand sitting there ready for shipment. I asked someone about it and they told me that their plant made all the brands and that they were all the same, just a different label. Wal-Mart Super Tech sitting next to QS, next to Valvoline next to Castrol... etc. I used to be a die-hard Valvoline fan as that was what my dad used but since that day, I haven't seen a difference by using the less-expensive Wal-Mart stuff.
The wally-world 15-40 industrial fleet/diesel oil is good stuff and is equivalent to Rotella. Comes in a 2 gallon jug

Quick Reply: What oil do you use?