Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

what now?

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2012, 02:00 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1998
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 6CYL
Default what now?

so i removed the headliner, removed fabric, scraped off old padding and i know what im supposed to do to finish it...i get however many cans of the 3M adhesive spray (most ppl say 3) and put the fabric back on 1/3 at a time or whatever. but my question is, what should i do? should i leave it out, reinstall it, get new fabric, do something totally different? im looking for opinions/functional mods with directions how to do so. my xj is a blue 94 country with gray cloth/leather interior. thanks for the input. will post pics after i finish
Old 09-08-2012, 02:10 PM
Seasoned Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1996
Engine: 4.0L High Output

Don't be afraid to use plenty of the adhesive. Find that happy border between too much that it soaks through the fabric and when it doesn't. After adhering the headliner to the board, let it sit for a few hours to let the glue dry. If you don't and go to reinstall it, you'll run the chance of pulling the fabric from the board.

As far as what to do that's totally your call. I've seen some really well done camo or pattern fabric setups but personally I like the stock look.
Old 09-08-2012, 02:26 PM
CF Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Year: 1998 Sport
Engine: 4.0

If your not in to much of a rush Let it sit over night. That way you know the it the fabric has good contact and it won't fall as soon as you put it back on. That's what I would do.
BTW, It is better to over buy the adhesive then not to have enough. You can take back what you didn't use.