Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

what can I replace? (stumper electrical problem)

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2010, 12:16 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Exclamation what can I replace? (stumper electrical problem)

Hi,

I've got a '99 Sport with some intermittent starting problems. It starts and runs fine 99% of the time, but a few times I get this problem:

I unlock with the keyless entry, get in and don't notice anything wrong, but when I turn the key I get a short beep (the first part of the longer beeps I would normally get) and nothing.. no electrical anywhere (radio, dome-light, etc.). So I try a few times, and every time I turn the key I just get that short beep.

So I start messing with the switches (opening/closing the door, pulling the headlight **** out and in), and eventually (within 10 minutes) everything comes back with my radio clock reset, and it starts up. Also, immediately after this for the first couple minutes of driving I have no idle control. If I take my foot of the gas it dies, but after a little driving everything's normal again.

The battery tests fine so I'm assuming some part must be going bad , and I'd love to spend this weekend fixing it myself to save $$, but I don't have any idea how to diagnose the problem. Anyone know of what the problem might be or is this one of those where it's not easy to tell? I'd appreciate any insight you might have. Thanks!

Mike
Old 04-23-2010, 12:32 PM
CF Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1996
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0

Start at the ignition switch.