Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

what is this ???

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2014, 07:42 AM
Seasoned Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1991
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 4.0 6cyl.
Default what is this ???

I have been researching electrical issues on line that I am having with my 91 XJ, and I keep seeing something about a " TelTak connector" what is it ? and where is it ? I have heard and seen it mentioned on line in differant forums but no one says what or where it is...can anyone shed some light on this ?

Thanks
Old 05-10-2014, 07:49 AM

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Year: 1993
Engine: 4.0

The TelTak connector is supposedly for an old analog bag phone. Should be on the same fuse as the radio. This is the first time I've heard of it. I'm only seeing it mentioned in fuse diagrams. No other mention of it.

What wiring issue are you having?
Old 05-11-2014, 05:18 AM
Seasoned Member

thanks, I guess I won't worry about the TelTek connector then . You asked what electrical issues I have been chasing ? well I have no Tail lights, and tag lights and only the left side blinker is not working, the right side blinker is ok. the front of the jeep is fine, but I was thinking this might be the head light switch ? what do you think ? maybe bad contacts for the tag and tail lights ? brake lights are fine and the right side blinker...and the back up lamps work, all these come from a differant sorce, so I was thinking the switch....what do you think ? Thanks in advance for any input and help you can offer...
Old 05-11-2014, 09:47 AM
CF Veteran

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts
Year: My Jeep is a GMC

Remove the spare tire and pull off the plastic trim, there is a ground connection there on the chassis.
Old 05-11-2014, 10:48 AM
Seasoned Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1999
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0 Straight Six

I had a trailer light harness in my 91, the back hatch was missing the plastic panel and there were a few plugs left unplugged, the moment you plugged them in the rear lights would pop a fuse. The one I really remember is a black tube, the wire was also black. It runs along the speakers wires in the hatch, more towards the drivers side.

As for the blinker not working, in all the vehicles Ive had where a whole side goes bad, I change out the steering column, its always worked for me. Only about $40-$50 at a Junk Yard. Its only on columns with tilt where it tends to go bad, so id suggest a solid column if you are lucky enough to find one.

That is my experience, sorry I cant give you technical details.
Old 05-11-2014, 12:04 PM
Seasoned Member

will check the ground behind the back panel tomorrow, and as far as the steering column, I don't have the tile one mine is fixed...I am glad for that ! thanks guys.