Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Weird leak when raining...need ideas where to look

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2016, 09:12 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1998
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L HO
Default Weird leak when raining...need ideas where to look

Ok, so I have a leak and can't seem to find it and need a new set of eyes/ideas where to look, lol.

So, when level and raining, it doesn't leak. However, when the front end is higher, as in parked uphill, my passenger floorboard gets soaked!

I sat in it one day while it rained and it looked like it was dripping down from what I assumed was the fan shroud area in the floorboard. The round thing in the floorboard protruding down lol. I thought maybe there was a hole in the cowl where maybe it had cracked around the plastic, so I stuck a water hose in there and filled it up just about and it never leaked so I assume it's not there???

I honestly have no idea where to start looking. Again, only does it when the front end is higher than the rest of the truck.

Any ideas??? Thanks
Old 02-22-2016, 11:43 PM
CF Veteran

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts
Year: 1995
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 4.0 with all of the noise and clatter

There is a rubber grommet that the radio antenna cable goes through on the right side behind the fender, you can see it with the door open. That grommet will rot away after many years and allow water to enter the cabin and flood the floor.
Old 02-23-2016, 03:19 AM

Originally Posted by Bustedback
There is a rubber grommet that the radio antenna cable goes through on the right side behind the fender, you can see it with the door open. That grommet will rot away after many years and allow water to enter the cabin and flood the floor.
I have the same issue, but my rubber grommet is as good as new.

I believe my leak is coming from the cowl and leaking down to the blower fan. Pain in the ***** to fix.

Drew
Old 02-23-2016, 05:22 AM
Beach Bum

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts
Year: 2000 WJ
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 4.0

Also look in engine bay, in rear corners under hinges. These are areas where body panels and firewall come together. The area is sealed with putty, but it can crack off.
Old 02-23-2016, 06:29 PM

Thanks guys. I will do my best to check them out this week and report back. I feel like the antenna thing might not be it b/c wouldn't it leak all the time if it was leaking from there? Gonna check it regardless just in case...with 246k on it, stuff is starting to wear out, lol.
Old 02-23-2016, 10:27 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Engine: 4.6L Stroked

Have you had a windshield installed lately? I had one installed and it didn't seal down in the corner. That caused a leak on the passenger side.
Old 02-24-2016, 01:56 AM
CF Veteran

Received 1,531 Likes on 1,173 Posts
Year: 2000
Model: Cherokee (XJ)

Originally Posted by cliffpenick
Have you had a windshield installed lately? I had one installed and it didn't seal down in the corner. That caused a leak on the passenger side.
Part of the problem on my '00 leaking is the windshield too. Come spring going remove and reinstall. See if I am right.
Old 02-24-2016, 12:22 PM

Year: 1991
Engine: 4.0L I6

I had this same problem in my first cherokee! Its not the grommet! It comes from right underneath the glove box, by the foot light! And its because of the drain underneath the wiper motor cover overflowing!

Here are some guides to fixing it! Good Luck

https://www.cherokeeforum.com/f52/ac...pet-fix-24246/

Here is definitive guide to resolving this issue:

https://www.cherokeeforum.com/f2/wat...ng-cowl-34969/
Old 02-24-2016, 12:34 PM
Banned

Received 45 Likes on 45 Posts
Year: 2000

I agree with the few above that said windshield. Get that checked first, if left alone (and that is the cause of the leak), the thin metal that the windshield seals to can rust away pretty quick. Happened to my brothers jeep when he put off fixing a leak just like yours he couldn't pin point until I looked at it good.

Some quick welding fixed it, but still a pain.
Old 02-24-2016, 12:58 PM

Year: 1999

Found passenger side water to be leaking in from three separate areas.

1) Blower fan. This is discussed at length in several posts. The only thing I noticed that no one else mentioned is that the fender area directly in front of the blower fan forms a bowl that retains water when the vehicle is parked nose uphill. I plan to drill a hole there [into fender area] to allow drainage. Would rather the rust forms outside the passenger area. Used RTV to seal the edges where the fan bolts to the housing AND where the housing presses against the passenger side of the firewall.

2) Sealant in all of the gaps on the corners inside the hood along the firewall just above the blower motor. That solved the last few drops coming in along the front of the firewall.

3) The last problem relates to the door seals. Water is still getting past the outer door seal gasket. It runs down the inner A pillar molding into the kickplate molding. It drips out the bottom of the molding, right along the line of the door frame and about 2 to 3 inches forward. Still unresolved. Not sure that a new outer seal will solve it, the originals seem to be making good contact along its entire length.

Problem #3 is also happening on the drivers side. I eliminated the windshield as a source by pulling the A pillar molding off, and hosing down the windshield area. Windshield remained dry, but saw droplets along the door when I overshot.

Line the bottom edge of the moldings with paper towels to locate drip around the door. The volume there was lower than the blower motor leak.

No leaks from the cowling. Yet.
Old 02-24-2016, 09:08 PM

I actually did have one put in about 3 years ago. I'll take a look.

Originally Posted by cliffpenick
Old 02-24-2016, 09:11 PM

I feel like if it was the windshield it would leak all the time during rain right? Like today, it poured...I mean poured...and nothing...bone dry...b/c I was parked flat. When they took my old windshield out they said it had been "patched" by the previous owner with caulk, lol, and that is a huge no no b/c it cures with acid...and acid rusts, lol. They fixed it when they put the new one in and it didn't leak anymore until I've started noticing this lean when parked on an incline.

Originally Posted by 2000CHERO
I agree with the few above that said windshield. Get that checked first, if left alone (and that is the cause of the leak), the thin metal that the windshield seals to can rust away pretty quick. Happened to my brothers jeep when he put off fixing a leak just like yours he couldn't pin point until I looked at it good.

Some quick welding fixed it, but still a pain.
Old 02-24-2016, 09:13 PM

That's the first thing I thought it was too but it's not...or I don't think it is. To test this I pulled the Jeep by the pump and took a water hose and filled the cowl area up while I laid in the floorboard to see the leak...NOTHING! Not a drop. As much water that got dumped in there I feel like it would have shown something if it was leaking from there.

Again, only happens when on an incline.

Originally Posted by GooseJeep
I had this same problem in my first cherokee! Its not the grommet! It comes from right underneath the glove box, by the foot light! And its because of the drain underneath the wiper motor cover overflowing!

Here are some guides to fixing it! Good Luck

https://www.cherokeeforum.com/f52/ac...pet-fix-24246/

Here is definitive guide to resolving this issue:

https://www.cherokeeforum.com/f2/wat...ng-cowl-34969/
Old 02-24-2016, 09:23 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Engine: 4.6L Stroked

Originally Posted by nick2326
That's the first thing I thought it was too but it's not...or I don't think it is. To test this I pulled the Jeep by the pump and took a water hose and filled the cowl area up while I laid in the floorboard to see the leak...NOTHING! Not a drop. As much water that got dumped in there I feel like it would have shown something if it was leaking from there.

Again, only happens when on an incline.
Did you take your stock roof rails off by chance? If you did and left the bolts out they will leak down the A-pillar. Just another suggestion.
Old 02-24-2016, 09:28 PM

Engine: 4.0 I6

It only happens when PARKED on an incline right? Could it be seeping in around the wipers and riding against the metal past the firewall into the jeep? Could the incline be creating a flat surface out of a previously inclined the other way angle?

I am the worst writer ever, but did I make sense?

Quick Reply: Weird leak when raining...need ideas where to look