Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Which way do I go???

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2011, 07:38 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 2002
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 4.0 I6
Default Which way do I go???

OK I've got this ongoing funky *** cold start. Not outside temperature cold start, I'm talking if it's sat for more than 4-5 hours. It will crank and fire on the first turn of the key but it doesn't sound smooth like it should, kind of sounds like a hiccup or misfire. The spark plugs, CPS & CTS are new but have made no difference. Now sometime ago I had my Jeep in a shop and they said this was due to dirty fuel injectors, so they cleaned them and I thought it might have sounded a little better but I'm not completely sure. But anyway the issue is still there. So I called the shop the other day and asked if they thought the injectors were dirty enough to be replaced. They said they cleaned them twice and it ran better but 1 of the injectors still seemed a little "lumpy". Also I forgot to mention that I did a fuel pressure test at the rail and the numbers were in the specified range for my vehicle.
So now I'm at the point where I don't know whether to replace the cap/rotor/pick up coil or to just go straight for the injector upgrade?
Old 02-17-2011, 10:11 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1989
Model: Cherokee
Engine: I-6 4.0
Default cold start problems

check your fuel rail pressures before you even crank it over while its still cold.see if its low or up to pressure.you also have a fuel rail pressure regulator that is vaccum driven make sure the line is in good shape. run some injector cleaner additive they accually work.
Old 02-17-2011, 10:17 PM

Year: 1994
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0

It's really a good idea to try and troubleshoot your problem before throwing money at it...THEN AGAIN, if it is in severe need of a tune-up, that may very well be the case.
Old 02-19-2011, 11:24 AM

Year: 2002
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 4.0 I6

I think I figured it out. When I replaced my CTS I failed to unplug the battery so the computer could reset to standard specs. I did this yesterday and so far it sounds better. It sure would suck not figure out something so simple! DUH!!