Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Waterpump leaking...

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2010, 01:20 AM
CF Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1994
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L HO
Default Waterpump leaking...

About 3 months ago I blew the bottom radiator hose on my Jeep. (Buldged out at the waterpump fitting until it burst.) I replaced the hose that night and didn't have any problems until a couple of weeks ago when I noticed a 4" coolant puddle under the Jeep. I got under it and observed coolant running down from where the hose connects to the waterpump, not a huge deal. I continued to run the Jeep until earlier this week when the leak got so bad I can no longer run the Jeep. If I pour coolant into the radiator it pours right back out of the waterpump, quickly. I replaced the upper and lower hoses again today, thinking it was the problem, but the leak is still there, full force. Looking over the Jeep for about a half hour with a friend, we noticed that from the bottom the waterpump is covered in coolant, but from the top you can't observe anything out of the ordinary. When the leak occurs, it comes out so fast you can't tell where it's coming from. I believe this is a sign of a bad gasket or waterpump, but I'm not sure and can't afford to experiment. I am going to pull the waterpump tonight, hopefully (It's 2am, I might run out of time before work.) How can I tell if the waterpump is bad?
Old 09-02-2010, 01:28 AM
CF Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Engine: 4.0 H.O. K&N, Borla headers, custom down pipe, magnaflow hi-flo cat, flowmaster to turn down tip

there is a little "weep" hole on the back of the waterpump and when the internal seal starts to go out, water will pour out of it like the mississippi river! so new waterpump is your best bet. just get a refurbished one, i have had mine for 5 years works great
Old 09-02-2010, 01:32 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1991
Engine: 4.0 litre

Couple of areas.

Try to get movement (side to side). Any? Yes is bad.

Once you pull the pump, look at the vanes on the inside. Corroded/rusted badly? Replace.

My rule of thumb (if it's not new) =pull the pump, replace the pump. Cherokee WP's are fairly cheap.
Old 09-02-2010, 02:49 AM
CF Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Engine: 4.0L HO

Edit on removing the waterpump tonight... not gonna happen. I can't get the bolt off for the power steering (The one that bolts into the intake manifold.) I can't get it to budge at all without pulling the wrench off and I can't get a 12 point or socket on it because the pump is in the way. Any suggestions?