Notices
Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Water Pump Issues

Old 06-09-2011, 10:43 PM

Year: 1995
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default Water Pump Issues

Had a new water pump installed in my 95 XJ Sport two months ago at Garage 1. I inspected and it appeared that pump was leaking, but from the hose. Took it to Garage 2 and the tech said the hose was OK, but the pump was leaking from the weep hole. Took it back to Garage 1 where they did a pressure check and said the pump was fine and the leak was coming from the hose which they tightened.

Today I had some other work done again at Garage 2, and they noted again that the pump was leaking. Any thoughts on who I should beat across the head and shoulders?
Old 06-09-2011, 10:48 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 2000
Engine: 4.0L with throttle body spacer and cold air intake, bored throttle body, #784 injector upgrade

If you are willing to, I would climb in there and take a look on your own and see what you can find. If it's leaking out the weep hole it can be spotted pretty easily... not always but generally. I would also take off the hose and clean the nipple where the hose attaches to by the leaking area. Otherwise take it to shop no. 3 and see what they say. You can also pressure test the whole cooling system at home with a rented tool from the area parts store. This will let you see for yourself where the leak is coming from and what needs to be done.
Old 06-09-2011, 11:23 PM

Year: 2001
Engine: 4.0L

The cherokee is a 1995? Once you get the water pump issue sorted out I would invest is all new hoses for the cooling system mainly because they are 16 years old and could crack at anytime. A hose wore out on my 2001 and it kept my xj from running until I could get the new hose on.
Old 06-09-2011, 11:30 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 1987
Engine: Check

Originally Posted by kenjen11 View Post
The cherokee is a 1995? Once you get the water pump issue sorted out I would invest is all new hoses for the cooling system mainly because they are 16 years old and could crack at anytime. A hose wore out on my 2001 and it kept my xj from running until I could get the new hose on.
^this isn't a bad suggestion.

But here is a thought. Take it to whomever has the pressure tester. If its the same style tester my buddie [owns a shop] has, its a bycicle pump with a pressure gauge and a radiator cap on it. It'll take them less than a few minutes to put pressure to the system and show you EXACTLY where the leak is coming from. You should notice it because it'll be the spot where coolant is spraying from....
Old 06-10-2011, 12:04 AM

Year: 1995
Engine: 4.0

Thanks all, great advices. Hope to resolve this before the weekend, got fishing on the brain.