Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Water on passenger floor - leaking heater core?

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2017, 03:56 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1998
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L
Default Water on passenger floor - leaking heater core?

Hello,

I believe it was sometime near the end of winter or start of spring I noticed water on the passenger side floor. I just soaked it up with a towel and left it alone until I had the time and weather to inspect and cure the problem.

At first I thought it may be a leaking windshield or water was somehow getting inside onto the passenger side floor from outside.

I noticed a few days ago less water was on the floor again even though we have had little or no rain for the past several weeks.

After checking the coolant leve found there is almost no water in the cooling system overflow tank (which I had previously made certain was full).

The water on the passenger side floor does not smell like coolant and there is no color. The coolant used in this Jeep is ZEREX G-05

I previously had made certain there was enough coolant in the radiator and overflow tank.

(There is a Napa coolant filter installed on the outgoing water heater line)

I'm trying to first determine where the water is actually coming from before removing the dashboard, in order to replace the heater core.

I suppose I could perform some sort of exterior water pressure test with a hose and pressure washer testing for exterior leaks.

The AC has been removed and disconnected, all that's left of the AC is the evaporator and a disconnected condenser which I left in place to protect the radiator.

So I'm wondering if it's the heater core wouldn't the water on the passenger floor smell like antifreeze? After scooping a little up in a paper cup the water appears to be dirty from floor dirt and doesn't appear to have any color. IIRC, Zerex GO-5 antifreeze is sort of yellowish in color.
Old 08-14-2017, 05:02 PM
CF Veteran

Received 333 Likes on 277 Posts
Year: 1997

Has it rained recently? Could be a hole behind the windshield, a leaking roof rack if you have one, a leaking cowl, or around the blower motor. Happens more often than you may think. Remove the kick panel and take a look back there as best you can with a good flashlight, you dont want the JB getting wet. Found these to get you started.

https://www.cherokeeforum.com/f2/wat...ng-cowl-34969/
https://www.cherokeeforum.com/f2/wat...-motor-178531/
Old 08-14-2017, 06:01 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1998

Originally Posted by fb97xj1
Has it rained recently? Could be a hole behind the windshield, a leaking roof rack if you have one, a leaking cowl, or around the blower motor. Happens more often than you may think. Remove the kick panel and take a look back there as best you can with a good flashlight, you dont want the JB getting wet. Found these to get you started.

https://www.cherokeeforum.com/f2/wat...ng-cowl-34969/
https://www.cherokeeforum.com/f2/wat...-motor-178531/
It did rain a little I think a week or so ago. The last several weeks the only precipitation I noticed (other than a short time of light rain) was some light drizzle that was more like condensation in the AM as I'm next to the Pacific Ocean where the weather sometimes inconsistent.

I removed the cowl vent, underneath the passenger side is closed sheetmetal. There is an open space in the cowl on the drivers side for wiper motor access.

After spraying using a water hose around the windshield and inside the cowl there is no evidence of any water dripping down inside on either the passenger or driver side.

The coolant reservoir which was filled a while ago is now down almost empty again and I'm not able to detect any coolant smell.

Another test I could do is to block off the coolant from entering the heater core by installing a small hose on the heater core's inlet and outlet.

This sort of testing may take a while to determine if the the heater core is leaking or not.

Last edited by Anony; 08-14-2017 at 07:29 PM.