Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Water/Oil Leak

Old 10-21-2016, 04:12 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1999
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L i6 All stock
Default Water/Oil Leak

Okay so to preface this, I am no mechanic. I am learning and appreciate any and all feedback.
Here's how the story starts.
Valve cover gasket blew on the interstate, so got a tow back to my grandparents (visiting them currently, a little over-due to leave, to say the least.)
Currently the jeep is (WAS) the only running vehicle here, so it put everyone out. Rode a bike 10 miles to get gasket. Replaced gasket, no more leaks. Started her up, There was a bit of knocking (almost sounded like a diesel) but I figured we could figure that out later. coolant drained everywhere. Inspected and found a rusted-out freeze plug. Again rode bike to get part and replaced. No more fluid leak... from that area. Cranked her up again, water pump was leaking. Again rode bike, replaced pump, thermostat, etc. Cranked it up again, radiator started steaming. blah blah replaced radiator, cranked her up... no oil pressure (I have an idiot light and really can't afford a mechanical gauge.) My FIL and I removed the oil pan to inspect the pump. It seems to be working okay, but I plan on replacing it anyways. He said to crank it up to check if it was sucking oil, but when I did oil and water was steadily dripping out. Again, I'm no mechanic, but I'd assume this is a big issue? Head gasket? I'm at wit's end with this thing. I've already spent over $400 of my in-laws money (both are disabled and on limited income), overstayed our welcome at my grandparents, and am extremely stressed and anxious to get home. Any input would be appreciated, thanks.