Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Water Leaking On Floorboard Both Sides

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2014, 11:01 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1999
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default Water Leaking On Floorboard Both Sides

I recently purchased a 97 XJ. When I drove it home i noticed water leaking onto the floor on both sides. It was flooding rain and I had the AC and defrost running on the 2 hour ride back home. I thought that maybe it was getting in from the rain but now I don't think so. It has been in my garage since I got it and not driven until yesterday. It started leaking again when I drove it yesterday, it was a sunny and dry day but I was running the AC.It was leaking on both the driver and passenger sides. I have seen some threads on this but they seem to be on WJ's not XJ's and the water is usually just leaking on the passenger side. Any suggestions?
Old 05-27-2014, 11:27 AM
CF Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Year: 1998 Sport

I would start by checking the drain for the AC it located under that is if you are sure that it wasn't from the rain
Old 05-27-2014, 12:38 PM
CF Veteran

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
Year: 90,84
Engine: 4.0,2.5

x2^ When mine was plugged water would slosh over from the tray, right on my right root IIRC. I good place to start anyway.
Old 05-27-2014, 01:25 PM

I'm pretty sure that is wasn't from the rain. It was put in my garage and stayed there for 2 or 3 weeks after it had been in the rain. It didn't start dripping again until about 10 min into the ride. I had the AC on as soon as I left the house with it. I found the AC drain that is above the frame rail. How do you recommend cleaning it out? Some water does come out of it after I stop so I guess its not completely clogged up.
Old 05-27-2014, 02:14 PM
CF Veteran

On the firewall sort of below the heater hoses? I believe compressed air is the preferred treatment. It was along time ago, I think I used weed eater string or something.
Old 06-01-2014, 07:31 PM

I removed the canister that sits in front of the drain for easier access to the drain. The drain has a short hose that starts out at 5/8" ID then tapers down to 5/16" ID and turns downward. The total length of the hose is about 3 1/2" but the first inch slides onto the inch of tube that protrudes through the firewall. I removed the short drain hose and started poking in the tube with some weed eater line. I can feel some resistance but I'm worried about what is on the other side. Is there something in there that I can damage? How far in there should I be poking around? Should I switch to a coat hanger and make a round end with some pliers?
Old 06-01-2014, 07:49 PM
CF Veteran

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts
Year: 1995
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 4.0 with all of the noise and clatter

Poke away, there is nothing that can be damaged around the drain hole.
Old 06-02-2014, 08:14 AM
CF Veteran

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Are you sure that the drain is open for the cowl at the bottom of the windshield? If it still had water standing in it and drain blocked will cause problems, I have had that issue on other cars myself. I'm guessing here so go easy if I'm off base with this on an XJ.
Old 06-02-2014, 02:12 PM

I pulled the cover off of the cowl but I can't see where it drains. I am pretty sure it is coming from the AC. Drive it on a sunny day with AC get the drips drive it on sunny day with no AC then its dry. Just worried about the cleaning out the drain procedure. I might also run a long piece of tubing from the drain to see if that helps. There seems to be alot of info on this issue on other Jeeps than the XJ.
Old 06-02-2014, 03:31 PM

Year: 99
Engine: 'The Invincible' 4.0

Ok, from what you are describing your a/c heater box drain plug is clogged. This causes the a/c condensation that would otherwise drain out to instead run out your floor vents when you turn left or right (hard left, it will drain right, hard right, it will drain left). The drain is below where your heater and a/c hoses come out of the firewall.

Pull off the drain hose , get a wire hanger and start poking. Jeep for some reason put the a/c evap core on a Styrofoam block that rots over time and clogs the drain. You won't damage the a/c core with a wire hanger so poke away until the drain is cleared.
Old 06-02-2014, 06:37 PM
Seasoned Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Year: 98
Model: Cherokee(XJ)
Engine: 4.0L

My 96 leaks, sort of. i think its more of a seep. i put a towel under my floormat and it doesnt really leak anymore. without it, after a good rain there could be almost an inch of water laying in my driver floor pan. I think mine is seeping from the door well, possibly from the weather stripping or somesuch.

I put a paper towel there while it was raining once and it was all wet up along the doorwell. after i saw that i put the regular towel there and has at least held back the problem. no more puddles.
Old 06-03-2014, 08:51 PM

I think I got it. I poked a coat hanger in the drain, and then I put the shop vac on the drain, and vacuumed it out. I also bought a long piece of clear tubing to replace the little stubby hose. I ran the hose down between the frame rail and the lower control arm and zip tied it to the starter cable (for now). I let it run in the driveway with the AC on for about 20 min with no drips on the carpet. I then drove it around for about 15 min at speeds up to 70 mph, again no drips. Please keep your fingers crossed.
Old 06-03-2014, 10:20 PM

glad it has worked out for you... compressed air would have been an easier choice imo lol, but if it works, it works
Old 06-04-2014, 08:22 AM

Yeah that would have been nice. Maybe I will get an air compressor for Fathers Day. lol
Now it's on to the valve cover gasket leak.

Last edited by kingfishracin; 06-04-2014 at 08:23 AM. Reason: Added something
Old 06-04-2014, 12:12 PM
CF Veteran

Glad you got it! Sounds like it was a real hassle. Maybe compressed air at the gas station next time.

Quick Reply: Water Leaking On Floorboard Both Sides