Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

washer pump wiring & problems

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2013, 11:11 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default washer pump wiring & problems

Yes, I have searched but my problem seems rather unique...

Jumped under the fender and replaced my washer pumps a few days ago and now have a couple of questions.

I noticed that the rear (upper) pump has two hot leads (the black wires) running into it vs. only one into the front (lower) pump. Can anyone tell me why?

Both pumps were obviously shot as soon as I saw them and happily, the front replacement took right off and started working although I had to pull the cowl and reattach the drivers side nozzle. At the time, I was unable to get a response from the wiring for the rear one on my voltmeter when I hit the switch like I did with the front one so I hooked it all up and put it in place anyway to be dealt with at a later date.

As an aside, my rear wiper was not working either, so I explored a little and found the rear wiper fuse to be missing. I replaced the fuse and the wiper started functioning normally but still no fluid squirty. I have not had a chance to check to see if the pump engages when I hit the switch now either. I have also not had a chance to check the tubing running into the hatch for connectivity (and I was just under there a couple of weeks ago to deal with a hatch lock issue and nothing jumped out at me as amiss), but I have not noticed any fluid spewing from anywhere back there when I try to run the pump like I did with the one front nozzle being unhooked. I've hit the switch for a cumulative several minutes, a few seconds at a time with no luck.

Could the washer half of the switch be bad? I have a hard time with this idea because the wiper does the obligatory 3 immediate passes then resumes the intermittent operation as normal when the washer portion of the switch is engaged. Those two damn wires going to (or one to and one from) the rear pump have me bamboozled. There has to be some sort of return or double feed involved here. I wonder if its a "switch>pump>wiper motor" scenario but then wouldn't the front be the same way? WTF Is there yet another fuse I'm missing or should check for just the pump? Could the line just be plugged up or maybe broken somewhere between here and there? Damn my luck for not having picked up a manual yet with wiring schematics in it...

Any and all info, help and suggestions are already greatly appreciated so fire away!
Old 01-31-2013, 11:01 PM

56 looks and not a single reply? This hasn't boondoggled anyone else or did I just catch something nobody else has ever noticed?
Old 01-31-2013, 11:34 PM

Year: 2001
Engine: 4.0

When you are pressing the switch, do you hear the pump running? Do you have someone observing a meter while you press the switch? Have you tried to wire the hot lead straight to the battery to see if it will even turn on?

You may have a faulty switch, but without knowing if your pump is even good how would you know?

As a side thought, do you have two fill reservoirs?

For right now I would focus my efforts into the pump and its wiring. Maybe a connection is corroded.
Old 02-01-2013, 09:25 AM

Year: 1999

just replaced mine on a 99 sport and it took a few times of hitting the swich for it to get fluid back there .... so i would think if the wiper is working the pump is bad and if pump is good check the hose for a clog
Old 02-01-2013, 09:50 AM
CF Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Year: 1998 Sport

Originally Posted by mech1ohio
just replaced mine on a 99 sport and it took a few times of hitting the swich for it to get fluid back there .... so i would think if the wiper is working the pump is bad and if pump is good check the hose for a clog
This^^^
I had my 98 do the same thing. The pump was working but the hose close to the spray nozzle and the nozzle itself were clogged.
Old 02-01-2013, 10:58 AM
CF Veteran

Received 82 Likes on 67 Posts
Year: 1999

I guess this is a 97 XJ...

Here's the wiper diagrams:

Name:  97XJWipers53-2_page_02.jpg
Views: 1731
Size:  64.4 KB

Name:  97XJwipers53-3.jpg
Views: 3545
Size:  64.4 KB
Old 02-01-2013, 12:38 PM

Thanx for the info guys. Gives me more things to look for when I get a chance to troubleshoot again...