Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Want to remove the ugly faded plastic body trim

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2010, 02:53 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1999
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0 HO
Default Want to remove the ugly faded plastic body trim

I installed my JCR Stage 2 rear bumper on my 1999 Sport and the faded plastic trim on the lower rear quarter panel looks really crappy net to the new paint on the rear bumper. I would like to remove it and the ugly mouldings on the doors too. My plan is to eventually use bed liner on the lower panels.

My questions are whats the easiest way to get these plastic pieces off? what is underneath them? is the metal painted? Are there holes that will have to be filled in? Any info and advice is greatly appreciated.

Pictures of XJs with the trim removed would be cool too!
Old 05-21-2010, 03:15 PM

I am missing one part of the lower molding on my 90 and it is painted under it but there is a lot of ugly glue there also. Might be able to clean it off with something but if you are going to bed line it I would just grind it off and prime it and coat it
clint
Old 05-21-2010, 03:23 PM

So the trim is just glued on?
Old 05-21-2010, 03:34 PM

Year: 2000
Engine: i-6 4.0

you can use a product like forever blac
http://www.quadratec.com/products/91083_601.htm
or
http://www.quadratec.com/products/91083_600.htm

id let you know how it works but im trying to fix death wobble before my trip next week :\ I did apply it to one piece of trim and it came out real nice, previously i used back to black by mothers and it looks nice for a few weeks (maybe 2) then goes back ugly gray. From what i read, the forever black continues to stay looking good.
Old 05-21-2010, 03:51 PM

I have been using the Mothers too. Sure doesnt last long.
Old 05-21-2010, 03:56 PM

Originally Posted by scott357
I have been using the Mothers too. Sure doesnt last long.

yea, it looks nice when its fresh, i did notice that it didnt get rid of the little stress marks from behind the plastic while the back to black actually turned the whole thing black. Its like a black dye instead of the white polish stuff that the back to black is.

im fairly certain the forever black is going to be a winner, i might go finish it up tonight since i need to wait till tomorrow to get an alignment (and hope that fixes death wobble )
Old 05-21-2010, 04:28 PM

i have a 98 cherokee and i just put some 33in tires on it and only lifted it 2 inchs, in conclusion, the tires are too big and actually has knocked off the little plastic fender flairs above the tires. Its nearly impossible to put them back on, and underneath them i have a metal bracket attached to my body, they dont look too nice, but throw some black paint on them and people wont even take a second look.
Old 05-21-2010, 04:32 PM
Former Sponsor

Engine: 4.0

just pull of the trim pieces, they are being held on by double stick tape. There should not be any holes to worry about and it is painted behind the trim pieces. This pertains to the door trim only. The corner pieces do have metal brackets behind them.

To fully remove the tape/glue residue go to your local paint supply store and pick up a rubber eraser. They attach to your drill and make quick work of the left over tape/residue. Be careful with them though, because you can burn through your paint if you get it too hot. It get pretty messy too, so after all the tape and stuff is off you will probably want to spray your jeep off or wipe off all the dust.

Hope that helps!
Old 05-21-2010, 07:15 PM

Engine: 4.0 inl 6

the pannels on the doors are glued on with double sided tape but ive tried every thing to get it off with out sanding it off and yes its painted under there
Old 05-21-2010, 08:46 PM

It can be done. Wait for a nice hot day, let it sit in the sun all day. Grab the molding and start pulling. Use a glue remover to remove the excess glue.
Name:  jeep001-1.jpg
Views: 5701
Size:  187.6 KB
Old 05-21-2010, 09:40 PM

Originally Posted by sparkyb34
It can be done. Wait for a nice hot day, let it sit in the sun all day. Grab the molding and start pulling. Use a glue remover to remove the excess glue.
I really like the nice clean look that removing those moldings gives the jeep.
Old 05-24-2010, 01:41 PM

Engine: 4.0 i6

Originally Posted by EMAXX620
you can use a product like forever blac
http://www.quadratec.com/products/91083_601.htm
or
http://www.quadratec.com/products/91083_600.htm

id let you know how it works but im trying to fix death wobble before my trip next week :\ I did apply it to one piece of trim and it came out real nice, previously i used back to black by mothers and it looks nice for a few weeks (maybe 2) then goes back ugly gray. From what i read, the forever black continues to stay looking good.
Does the forever black work on the vinyl inside on the doors? Mine are really faded where the sun shines in through the windows!
Old 05-24-2010, 02:13 PM

Year: 1993

forever black is a dye instead of a polish so be careful, I use it on my flares and its great for those...R
Old 05-24-2010, 02:18 PM

Originally Posted by zeep99xj
Does the forever black work on the vinyl inside on the doors? Mine are really faded where the sun shines in through the windows!
hmm, i havent thought of that. my inside panels are still fairly dark so im not sure i would see a difference. I know the bottle says it sticks to plastic porous surfaces, im not sure how porous the door panels are. Ill go check and see if i have any extra panels around to test it on.
Old 05-24-2010, 02:47 PM
CF Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: Jeepless at the moment

Originally Posted by Choo_31
just pull of the trim pieces, they are being held on by double stick tape. There should not be any holes to worry about and it is painted behind the trim pieces. This pertains to the door trim only. The corner pieces do have metal brackets behind them.

To fully remove the tape/glue residue go to your local paint supply store and pick up a rubber eraser. They attach to your drill and make quick work of the left over tape/residue. Be careful with them though, because you can burn through your paint if you get it too hot. It get pretty messy too, so after all the tape and stuff is off you will probably want to spray your jeep off or wipe off all the dust.

Hope that helps!
WD-40 will get the rest of the adhesive off

Quick Reply: Want to remove the ugly faded plastic body trim