Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Voltage gauge not working

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2017, 12:45 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 2001
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0l i6
Default Voltage gauge not working

When I first got the 2001 xj the battery gauge never worked and it never bothered me until recently when my alternator went out and I didn't even know it was until I was stuck on the side of the road does anybody know how to fix this? I've tried cleaning my terminals and even bought all new ones, do I need a new cluster?
Old 02-28-2019, 11:31 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 2001
Engine: 4.0l i6
Default Bump

Originally Posted by cojeepin
When I first got the 2001 xj the battery gauge never worked and it never bothered me until recently when my alternator went out and I didn't even know it was until I was stuck on the side of the road does anybody know how to fix this? I've tried cleaning my terminals and even bought all new ones, do I need a new cluster?
been a while since I posted this and was hoping if anyone might have a clue as to what it is or if there is a sensor I could replace or even just a blown fuse? Constantly doing research to find something haven’t comes up with anything yet.
Old 03-01-2019, 03:16 PM
CF Veteran

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
Year: 90,84
Engine: 4.0,2.5

I'm no real help. I'd bet it gets it's signal from the puter though, or just voltage at the cluster, no sender. In your shoes I might look at my cluster, or one at a JY and see it the gauge itself could be changed. Or I might just get one from an auto parts store that you attach somewhere and hook up to any wire that's hot with ign on.
Old 03-01-2019, 03:29 PM
CF Veteran

Received 234 Likes on 207 Posts
Year: 1995
Model: Cherokee(XJ)
Engine: I6 4.0L

My voltage gauge is the same way. I'm pretty sure that it's just a direct read from the PDC, so either the gauge itself is bad or there's a wiring break. Likely the latter.

I'd start by testing voltage at the pin on the cluster connector. The FSM should have information about which controls what. If you get good voltage coming in, then look at the cluster/gauge. If not, trace it back and find the break.

I don't remember how the newer cluster is set up, but on the older style (as I have in my 95) there's a printed circuit on the back that can have issues.

If I ever get around to looking into it on my 95, I'll gladly share whatever I find/learn.