Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

very strange brake/suspension sound....help!

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2010, 01:24 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default very strange brake/suspension sound....help!

I've got this problem with my 1997 Cherokee. Nobody can seem to figure it out and it's a mystery to me. I had a 1996 Cherokee for about 8 years and went through a few brake jobs, so I have a pretty good running knowledge of brake problems, noises, sounds, pedal feels, etc. Now I have the 97 and I have what I think is a brake sound that just doesn't make sense.

It's quite difficult to explain what it sounds like. It's not a squeek, not a grind, not metal on metal, not a wooshing vacuum sound etc etc. It is more like a squeal, or some sort of wind-up toy that has been wound up and "released" when I step on the brakes. The brakes stop, there doesn't seem to be a change in pressure on the pedal, it's just this noise that doesn't make any sense. It seems to come from inside the dash or possibly below the center console. At it's worst, which is when the car is cold, and the weather is cold, the sound happens while I hit the brake but ALSO if I go over a dip of sorts in the road, which completely confuses me. If it's a brake issue, I don't understand how it could be connected to the suspension... and vice-versa.

I brought it to one mechanic and felt like I got hosed bad when he charged me 65 bucks for a "brake inspection" just to tell me that it was a control arm bushing making the noise. I don't buy that at all. For one thing, I just had ALL the control arms replaced a couple months ago. I suppose I could have got a bad bushing, but there's just no way that the sound would be SO consistent and I feel that it's ludicrous to think that a bushing would make such a noise.

Does anybody have any ideas? All brake components are in good condition... and like I said, the sound is much closer to the dash area.

Thanks for any help y'all can give me.
Old 10-12-2010, 01:48 PM
CF Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1994
Engine: 5.2

Cant really help you out without seeing it, BUT it very well be suspension related. Think about it, you get on the brakes and the suspension does move, if u did have bad control arm bushings they would shove back when brakes are applied, even if the bushings are good the front end dives a little when you hit the brakes.

One thing that helps me find a noise is look around the bushings for "powdered rust" will be orange and powdery, stands out pretty good with a bright light. If you see this around a bushing, then its bad for sure, actually if it is at the stage of seeing powdered rust like that, then its REAL bad. And yes don't ever go to that shop again, we always do free brake inspections and suspension inspection, only time we charge for a looksy is when we are doing engine or evap diag.
Old 10-12-2010, 02:00 PM

Thanks for your reply. You are absolutely right about the force on the front suspension when I hit the brakes, and before I got my head together I bought it from the mechanic who said that too.

It is most noticeable also, at lower speeds, which doesn't really support the "force on the front end" idea right? Wouldn't it be more prevalent at higher speed braking, when there is more pressure from the speed?

Also, the bushings are brand new and I just double checked and they have no sign of wear or rust. It also seems like more of a "mechanical" type of sound if you will... I can't hear it outside of the vehicle.

I'm so confused, in the deep woods, and hours away from any shop!!!

Thanks again
Old 10-12-2010, 07:16 PM
CF Veteran

try shifting in netrual and applying the brakes, or try down shift to slow instead of the brakes, see i it makes a diffrence. I am guessing it is kind of a racheting noise? Is it loud? Can you hear with windows up? Maybe try rolling one window down at a time to see if u can isolate where it is coming fromt?
Old 10-12-2010, 07:18 PM
CF Veteran

oh, it wouldn't happen to b your abs kicking on and of real fast would it? I am guessing u don't feel anything odd in the pedal?
Old 10-13-2010, 09:50 PM

It is definitely a ratcheting sound, and yes, it makes me think of that sound when your abs is engaged, but my cherokee doesn't have abs! I tested it out in neutral and downshifting, it still happens the same.

About the windows, it seems the best way to hear it is with all the windows up, because it sounds like it's coming from somewhere behind the firewall or below the center console, not really a specific wheel. I've tried to hear it outside the vehicle but I haven't been successful.

It's loud enough to make me worry... it can be sustained by holding in on the brake just enough as you descend a hill, it also occurs at times when I'm not even on the brake and the road dips or there's a bit of a swerve of sorts, and you are right, a ratcheting noise is the best way to describe it.

thanks for your help
Old 10-13-2010, 10:03 PM

Year: 1990
Engine: 4.0

I have been reading many posts and some list that kind of noise comming from the transfer case. It is not totally unrealistic because your front drive shaft will move when you apply the brakes and when you hit dips. Just a thought hope it helps.
Old 10-13-2010, 10:29 PM
CF Veteran

Received 22 Likes on 22 Posts
Year: 1989 xj sport 2dr
Engine: 12 hole bosch Injectors

does it make the noise if you push the pedal when not moving
Old 10-13-2010, 10:43 PM

It only happens while driving. In 2wd and 4wd. Is there a way to determine if it is from my transfer case? that would suck.
Old 10-13-2010, 10:51 PM
CF Veteran

jack up the front support with jack stand have someone sit in the xj and you spin the front tires and let them apply the brakes see if it still does it
Old 10-13-2010, 10:59 PM

According to the mechanic that looked at it last, he had it up on a lift in drive and it was not happening when he would press the brake.
Old 10-14-2010, 12:44 AM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by cbeats
According to the mechanic that looked at it last, he had it up on a lift in drive and it was not happening when he would press the brake.
thats because the front wheels donturn in 2wd the noise is in the front
Old 01-14-2013, 06:53 AM

I have the very same noise. I just replaced the engine. I don't remember this noise prior to engine change. Did you ever find the source?
Old 01-14-2013, 10:51 AM

Year: 1989
Engine: 4.0

Sounds like a loose or cracked vacuum line on your power booster leaking out, making noise. Or a internal leak in the power booster.