Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Very simple question

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2012, 01:58 PM
Seasoned Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1990
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L Renix
Default Very simple question

Might be considered a stupid question, but my young mind with little to no experience with this would like a somewhat detailed explaination on how to install spark plugs. It obviously is of no help to say you unscrew the old and screw in the new because that's common sense. Are there other steps to take when installing new plugs and do you have any tips? Also I am installing a new fuel filter and would like some guidance on that as well, however, I will make a new thread for that.
Old 01-11-2012, 02:01 PM

Year: 2001
Engine: 4.0 IL6

gap them and do not over-tighten them
Old 01-11-2012, 02:03 PM
CF Veteran

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts
Year: 1999 XJ
Engine: I6 4.0L

Gap to .35 (I think), install one plug at a time so you get the right wires back on, and only snug them up, don't tighten them too much. Use a spark plug socket, it'll make removing them and putting the new ones in much easier.
Old 01-11-2012, 02:04 PM
CF Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1999
Engine: I6 4.0

Unscrew old ones then first compare the plugs you bought make sure theyre the same then gap the new ones to .035 then then them in and make them snug with the wrench
Old 01-11-2012, 02:07 PM
Seasoned Member

Originally Posted by alpine.adrenaline
Gap to .35 (I think), install one plug at a time so you get the right wires back on, and only snug them up, don't tighten them too much. Use a spark plug socket, it'll make removing them and putting the new ones in much easier.
Okay what exactly do you use to get the right gap? Because you can't just eye that haha
Old 01-11-2012, 02:08 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 1995
Engine: 4.0 I6

Originally Posted by shooting sticks
Okay what exactly do you use to get the right gap? Because you can't just eye that haha
They make little gap gauges that you can get at any auto parts store for about a dollar. They're just a little metal disc with measurements on it.
Old 01-11-2012, 02:16 PM
Seasoned Member

Originally Posted by bighouts5591
They make little gap gauges that you can get at any auto parts store for about a dollar. They're just a little metal disc with measurements on it.
Coo.
Old 01-11-2012, 02:21 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Engine: 4.0

like others have said, use what's called a spark plug socket for the best results. It is a deep-well socket that has a little rubber ring inside of it that holds on to the end of the plug so you can pull it out of the block without having to fish it out. Not absolutely necessary, but it helps out a lot...

Be very careful. i don't know how long your plugs have been in there, but you DONT want one snapping in half and stuck in your block. i would use about a 5-6" extension so you're no elbow deep in the motor, it will bring your leverage point up, and sometimes give you more room to turn the ratchet. Put gentle, consistent torque on them to remove them, don't go *****-to-the wall and try to be mega man. once you get them all out, you'll need to gap the plugs. Gap it to .035 inches. The way you do that is stop by autozone and they'll have little stacks of disc-looking things at the front counter. They're usually less than $1 or so. It is a lip on the outside that progressively goes up in depth. On spark plugs, there is a gap on the end between the electrodes (or whatever they're called). you want to put that gap on to your new gapping tool on the SMALLEST part of the lip. slowly and carefully slide it towards the bigger side until you're gotten to the .035" mark. You may have to gently wiggle the plug to get it to slide to the right spot. Do this to all of the plugs before you start installing them, so you don't lose track as to which ones you've gapped and which ones you haven't.

Then, you'll need a small tube of anti-seize. It's a gooey substance that prevents threads from locking up. Take a very small dab (about the size of a rain drop) and put it on the threads of the spark plugs. Then put the new spark plugs one-by-one into their holes in the block. MAKE SURE you do NOT cross thread these plugs because you will cause permanent damage to your block and it will have to be re-threaded. Put the plugs in the hole, the gently begin to screw them in nice and slow and make sure there is very little resistance. if you're cranking down on them right after you started threading them in, you're wrong. there should be 5-7 rotations at least before they start getting snug.

I'm sure there is a torque spec for the 4.0's plugs, but i've always gotten them 'good-and-tight' meaning they're snug with some pressure on them, but no he-manned on there. i recommend putting on some dielectric grease on the tips of the plugs where the plug wire goes on to it so that area does not corrode.

And you're done. Hope this helps.

Last edited by beefmobile; 01-11-2012 at 02:23 PM.
Old 01-11-2012, 02:33 PM
Seasoned Member

Originally Posted by beefmobile
like others have said, use what's called a spark plug socket for the best results. It is a deep-well socket that has a little rubber ring inside of it that holds on to the end of the plug so you can pull it out of the block without having to fish it out. Not absolutely necessary, but it helps out a lot...

Be very careful. i don't know how long your plugs have been in there, but you DONT want one snapping in half and stuck in your block. i would use about a 5-6" extension so you're no elbow deep in the motor, it will bring your leverage point up, and sometimes give you more room to turn the ratchet. Put gentle, consistent torque on them to remove them, don't go *****-to-the wall and try to be mega man. once you get them all out, you'll need to gap the plugs. Gap it to .035 inches. The way you do that is stop by autozone and they'll have little stacks of disc-looking things at the front counter. They're usually less than $1 or so. It is a lip on the outside that progressively goes up in depth. On spark plugs, there is a gap on the end between the electrodes (or whatever they're called). you want to put that gap on to your new gapping tool on the SMALLEST part of the lip. slowly and carefully slide it towards the bigger side until you're gotten to the .035" mark. You may have to gently wiggle the plug to get it to slide to the right spot. Do this to all of the plugs before you start installing them, so you don't lose track as to which ones you've gapped and which ones you haven't.

Then, you'll need a small tube of anti-seize. It's a gooey substance that prevents threads from locking up. Take a very small dab (about the size of a rain drop) and put it on the threads of the spark plugs. Then put the new spark plugs one-by-one into their holes in the block. MAKE SURE you do NOT cross thread these plugs because you will cause permanent damage to your block and it will have to be re-threaded. Put the plugs in the hole, the gently begin to screw them in nice and slow and make sure there is very little resistance. if you're cranking down on them right after you started threading them in, you're wrong. there should be 5-7 rotations at least before they start getting snug.

I'm sure there is a torque spec for the 4.0's plugs, but i've always gotten them 'good-and-tight' meaning they're snug with some pressure on them, but no he-manned on there. i recommend putting on some dielectric grease on the tips of the plugs where the plug wire goes on to it so that area does not corrode.

And you're done. Hope this helps.
Yep I've got a spark plug socket. How would you accidentally cross threads?
Old 01-11-2012, 02:39 PM
N8N

Year: 1999

Yep I've got a spark plug socket. How would you accidentally cross threads?
Some people have fists of ham.
Old 01-11-2012, 03:01 PM
CF Veteran

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
Year: 90,84
Engine: 4.0,2.5

Lay the old ones out in order. Note any deposits and compare the color.

One trick for getting the wires off without pulling the connecter off is to slide the rubber insulator up first if you can.

Yea, make sure the gap is .35

I only use anti seize on aluminum heads, guess it couldn't hurt. A drop of oil...

Always get a few turns by hand, (with the extension). That way you are sure your not cross-threaded.

I'm sort of strong and have a little difficulty with NEW plugs. Since there is a crush washer, the normal light touch won't quite do. Something like 1/8 turn after it feels like it's home should be close.

Fuel filter...Hit the car wash and clean up there first. That's all I've got. There's an arrow on the filter.
Old 01-11-2012, 03:06 PM

guys....the gap is .035"....not .35", he's not gapping the plug to a third of an inch....

Old 01-11-2012, 03:09 PM
Seasoned Member

Originally Posted by beefmobile
guys....the gap is .035"....not .35", he's not gapping the plug to a third of an inch....

Oi!
Old 01-11-2012, 03:10 PM
Seasoned Member

Originally Posted by DFlintstone
Fuel filter...Hit the car wash and clean up there first. That's all I've got. There's an arrow on the filter.
Old 01-11-2012, 03:26 PM

Oi!
don't worry, i doubt you could have possibly made that mistake. There isn't a spark plug gap tool in the world that goes that high lol.....it was just pointing out a technicality so you wouldn't scratch your head when gapping the plugs....

Quick Reply: Very simple question