Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Very Odd Behavior From My 4.0l i6

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2017, 08:53 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Exclamation Very Odd Behavior From My 4.0l i6

Hey guys, recently ran into an issue I wanted to get some opinions on. I've got a 1995 XJ, engine is brand new with 500 miles on it, and I've ran into what I had thought was a crank but no start issue. The twist is it cranks oerfectly fine just won't get that last bit to actually start, but when I let off the key (don't turn back, just stop cranking) the jeep rumbles into a start with a semi rough idle. The guy who swapped my engine didn't put new plugs in it (for some reason(-_-) so I swapped all 6 plus the plug wires, seems to have slightly improved the spark. Cap and rotor were done 3 years ago, but only 1000 miles ago (don't know if that matters). Starter is brand new, fuel pressure at shraeder valve is good to go.... I'm struggling for ideas here other than a possible relay failing (that'll be fun to find) or a lose wire, possibly ground somewhere. Any help or ideas would be very appreciated!! Thanks in advance!!
Old 07-06-2017, 02:05 PM
CF Veteran

Received 89 Likes on 78 Posts
Year: 1996
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 4.0L

Hard to guess on an issue like this, but I would be concerned that the starter is pulling the system voltage down too low and its causing other unrelated ignition problems (for example, relays can fail to switch if the voltage is insufficient) But then when you release the key and the starter stops putting the load on the battery, and the other systems get their appropriate voltage, and since the motor still has a few spins to go, it starts.

Have you monitored system voltage across the battery terminals while cranking to see what happens?
Old 07-06-2017, 04:59 PM
CF Veteran

Received 952 Likes on 767 Posts
Year: 1998 Classic (I'll get it running soon....) and 02 Grand
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 4.0

I agree with Jordon. Some voltage measurements are easy to do, and check those battery connections and cables.
Old 07-07-2017, 10:28 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee

Haven't pulled any voltage measurements yet, I honestly was completely stumped and didn't know where to start. I'll focus on voltage in the morning. Also checking grounds, for some reason that keeps popping in my head, as it was a new engine put in and a lose ground kind of makes sense here. I'll post what I find out, thank you for the ideas. Any more to check while I'm under the hood are more than appreciated.