Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Various Electrical Problems

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2012, 08:12 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1998
Model: Cherokee
Engine: Inline 6 cyl
Default Various Electrical Problems

I have a 1998 Cherokee 4X4 Sport. The right back tail light doesn't work. The brake lights work fine. Also the back up lights don't work at all. The right front parking light doesn't work but the turn signal does. Occasionally when I turn on the left turn signal and push the brake pedal my flashers come on. I've had other drivers try to pass me when I'm trying to make a left turn. Very frustrating because inside the car doesn't show that the flashers are on. Also on probably unrelated issue is that the transmission doesn't shift into overdrive. The 1st, 2nd and 3rd gears seem to work ok but in 3rd I run in higher RPMs and reduced gas mileage! HELP!!
Old 02-18-2012, 08:57 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1985 and 1991
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 350 sbc, 4.0 HO

I just bought a 91 limited with the 4.0 HO motor. I am having all kinds of electrical problems also. I spent all day yesterday checking fuses, relays, anything I could think of, I checked. Found nothing. I have been reading alot about it and I found that these Jeeps have some grounding issues. Today I am doing the ground refreshing thing. Any ground wires I can find I am going to take off and clean everything up and replace. Maybe you should do this also. Hopefully it solve these electical problems cause I don't know where else to look.