Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Valve Springs Engine Code

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2017, 11:48 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Exclamation Valve Springs Engine Code

My son's 2000 Cherokee displayed a flashing check engine sign. He went to Auto Zone and had the code read. He was told it was indicating a Valve Spring issue. A misfire on cylinder 5. The light has stopped flashing. What is involved with replacing the valve spring? is this is big job? The issue is that he is at college, 3 hours away. We would rather get the jeep home and have our mechanic fix it, but don't want to take the risk of driving it home, if we shouldn't....

Last edited by quinnate2; 02-22-2017 at 11:50 AM.
Old 02-22-2017, 01:25 PM

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
Year: 1999
Model: Cherokee(XJ)
Engine: 4.0L

Yeaaaaahhhh.. no.

I would get a different opinion on this one. Having the teenagers read the codes at AutoZone is asking for trouble.

I really doubt it has ANYTHING to do with the valve springs..

Probably a bad spark plug or coil pack on that cylinder.

Drive it until the code pops up again and try a different store. OR, purchase the ELM327 reader for $20 off Amazon/eBay and install Torque free on a bluetooth smartphone. Google the codes it gives out.
Old 02-22-2017, 01:28 PM
Seasoned Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1989
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0

A valve spring could cause a missfire which the ECM can detect but there is no code for bad valve spring. This sounds like a "WIG" or wild *** guess to me. Like diskman said, get another opinion. good luck.