Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Valve Cover Gasket/Cleaning

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2012, 03:28 PM
CF Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1992
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Question Valve Cover Gasket/Cleaning

I'm planning on doing some cleaning/fluid changing soon and I've been wanting to address my valve cover. I believe it's leaking a bit, since when you rub your finger over it, it's really black/oily. I'm just wondering if it's an easy unbolt, swap, bolt. And if there's any other cleaning I can do while that's off. I'd also like to know how easy it is to paint the cover if I wanted to. Would I need to sand or anything? Cover in primer then my paint? And rubber is recommended, right? Opposed to cork.

Thanks
Old 07-25-2012, 03:33 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1996

It is a simple job, you may need to move some heater hoses to get the cover off. Other than that, just throttle cables to move out of the way and the hoses coming off the pcv valves or whatever those are on top. A few wobble extensions too. Get the rubber gasket, you can use it over and over again and it seals really nice. you can paint the cover, just clean it up and sand/prime/paint like anything else. May need high temp paint iirc.

just make sure not to drop any gunk down inside after the cover is off, i suggest cleaning up around the lip before you remove it.
Old 07-25-2012, 03:39 PM
CF Veteran

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Year: 1987
Engine: Check

Yes, unbolt, replace gasket, reinstall.

The leaking may be coming from the vent outlet grommets in the top of the valve cover.
Old 07-25-2012, 03:47 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by Fsher21
It is a simple job, you may need to move some heater hoses to get the cover off. Other than that, just throttle cables to move out of the way and the hoses coming off the pcv valves or whatever those are on top. A few wobble extensions too. Get the rubber gasket, you can use it over and over again and it seals really nice. you can paint the cover, just clean it up and sand/prime/paint like anything else. May need high temp paint iirc.

just make sure not to drop any gunk down inside after the cover is off, i suggest cleaning up around the lip before you remove it.
Great! Sounds simple enough! I was going to go with high temp paint regardless, too.

Originally Posted by Gee oh Dee
Yes, unbolt, replace gasket, reinstall.

The leaking may be coming from the vent outlet grommets in the top of the valve cover.
Oh OK, nice! And I can check the vent outlets when it's taken off right?

Thanks
Old 07-25-2012, 04:14 PM

I think you can, I didn't take the time to check when mine was off. the orifice can be cleaned with a paperclip, but to actually replace, i hear it can be a pain. If only the gasket was bad, the top of the cover should be mostly dry while below would always be damp. if the whole thing is oily, im betting both top and bottom are leaking.
Old 07-25-2012, 04:17 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by Fsher21
I think you can, I didn't take the time to check when mine was off. the orifice can be cleaned with a paperclip, but to actually replace, i hear it can be a pain. If only the gasket was bad, the top of the cover should be mostly dry while below would always be damp. if the whole thing is oily, im betting both top and bottom are leaking.
My trackbar and tie rod do get dirty. They're red, and when I go to clean them, they're black.. Think it's related?
Old 07-25-2012, 04:26 PM

I wouldn't think so, the valve covers seep oil instead of a full on leak that drips to the ground. The oil pan gasket is what gets everything under mine all dirty. Still can't tell what is dirty from what, my engine is just now starting to dry up enough to notice after the valve cover gasket was replaced about 500 miles ago lol.