Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Vacuum Hose routing 1996 cherokee

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2010, 10:35 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default Vacuum Hose routing 1996 cherokee

Howdy all

I have a 1996 Jeep Cherokee that I purchased wrecked and had rebuilt at a local body shop. The other day My grand daughter was driving it and noticed a hose dragging on the ground. I checked it out and found that one end of the hose is connected to the front differential on the drivers side of the diff. But the end that was dragging on the ground had a screw in it blocking the end. Some one has put the screw in it on purpose to seal it off. They probably didn`t know where it connected so they just left it off. I figure the body shop that rebuilt it for me are probably guilty because there was some drive axle damage on the left side. Here is the main problem. More than likely I have a vacuum leak some where in the system where the loose end of the hose connects, which may explain the bad gas mileage I have been getting. So if there is any one on here with a similar cherokee that could take a look at there ride and find where the other end of the little vacuum hose connects and post it on this site I sure would appreciate it.

Thank You in advance
Ed
Old 10-08-2010, 10:41 AM
"CF Moderator"

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1994
Engine: l6 HO

Originally Posted by ky509
Howdy all

I have a 1996 Jeep Cherokee that I purchased wrecked and had rebuilt at a local body shop. The other day My grand daughter was driving it and noticed a hose dragging on the ground. I checked it out and found that one end of the hose is connected to the front differential on the drivers side of the diff. But the end that was dragging on the ground had a screw in it blocking the end. Some one has put the screw in it on purpose to seal it off. They probably didn`t know where it connected so they just left it off. I figure the body shop that rebuilt it for me are probably guilty because there was some drive axle damage on the left side. Here is the main problem. More than likely I have a vacuum leak some where in the system where the loose end of the hose connects, which may explain the bad gas mileage I have been getting. So if there is any one on here with a similar cherokee that could take a look at there ride and find where the other end of the little vacuum hose connects and post it on this site I sure would appreciate it.

Thank You in advance
Ed
Hi and welcome to CF from Tj...It sounds like the breather tube for the front axle. There should not be vacuum going to it but it should be mounted on the firewall next to the left side of the brake booster...Tj
Old 10-08-2010, 10:43 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1992
Engine: 4.0

it could be your front diff vent hose. they are supposed to have a vent cap on the end and are usually secured up in the engine bay. for now you can zip tie it to the firewall or buy a mounting clip that you can screw or bolt up.