Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

V6 Engine -> V8 engine (and other random Qs)

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2009, 06:00 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 2006
Model: Cherokee
Default V6 Engine -> V8 engine (and other random Qs)

Hello all, big time noob here and first post, so wishing everyone a chill greeting

little bio (skip this paragraph if uninterested) I have a 2006 Cherokee with a v6 engine, had it close to 8 months, and just recently started paying more attention to my baby. Slapped new K&N Air filters, got me some flashy headlights on top of my roof. Also got a JET Performance chip as a gift from my friend which i installed unhesitatingly , aside from that just recently tinted the back seat windows and threw in a new sound system that has an AUX port. So all in all, I see it as just the beginning.

I've been looking at SRT8s for a while now, just drooling over their performance. I'm in love with my car, but would kill for a SRT8 Grand Cherokee, with that said, i was thinking to reach some mid point of agreement and simply get the engine slapped onto my Cherokee. The only main reason is for more power. Is it advisable, if these are my intentions? or am I better off with another alternative?

Also if anyone can direct me to a decent site for lift kits I'd be thankful. Any feedback appreciated.
Old 12-06-2009, 08:49 AM
CF Veteran

Received 94 Likes on 85 Posts
Year: 1990, 1999, 2000
Engine: 4.0

do you live in the UK by chance? since you mention you have an 06 cherokee, i'm assuming you have a KJ, or liberty as badged here in north america.

i've seen some nice libbys with solid axle swap and 37 inch tires, but no hemi swap yet.

for the price of a 6.1L srt hemi, i'd look for a used hennesey grand for a street pounder.

if you do it, you should really start a build thread.
Old 12-06-2009, 08:52 AM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Year: 2001
Engine: 4.0L I6 w/ K&N and bored TB

Well my suggestion would be to buy a sportscar, Jeeps arent built for speed.
Old 12-06-2009, 09:01 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1992
Engine: 4.0 High Output

Originally Posted by Iant333
Well my suggestion would be to buy a sportscar, Jeeps arent built for speed.
Well, maybe not our version of the Cherokee, but the Grand Cherokee SRT-8 is a 13 sec. Jeep. (1/4 mile)

The Liberty a.k.a Cherokee overseas isn't something I would race on a track other then a 1/4 mile track if it had a V8......
Old 12-06-2009, 10:25 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 2006

Yes, I forgot this is a North American forum, don't mind me. Yep Liberty it is

Originally Posted by caged
do you live in the UK by chance? since you mention you have an 06 cherokee, i'm assuming you have a KJ, or liberty as badged here in north america.

i've seen some nice libbys with solid axle swap and 37 inch tires, but no hemi swap yet.

for the price of a 6.1L srt hemi, i'd look for a used hennesey grand for a street pounder.

if you do it, you should really start a build thread.
Sweet deal on the feedback, although i'm a noob to the point where i need a little toning down on the lingo. I won't be going over 30ish inch tires, even that is pushing it. I pretty much want to do "some" off roading with it, since we have a dessert here where I am from, nothing too challenging with the right wheels, but mainly for street racing..

Now before I get bashed for street racing with a jeep, people here in my country, Kuwait, are into street racing a lot, especially with SUVs. A little more background:
We have Nissan Saffari's vs Toyota Landcruisers , the owners of said cars dislike eachother with a passion and see one another as rivals.

We've got a popular road running alongside the beach that is famous for street racing, we get all kinds of decked SUVs going at it (think midnight club if u played that game) Everything from Jeeps, Envoys, Tahoes, Cadillacs to Mustang's, Corvettes and Cameros going at each other.

look at this youtube vid i found of an SRT8:

Just to give you a little idea.

So basically, got a need for speed on my jeep.
Originally Posted by Bimmer_2002
Well, maybe not our version of the Cherokee, but the Grand Cherokee SRT-8 is a 13 sec. Jeep. (1/4 mile)

The Liberty a.k.a Cherokee overseas isn't something I would race on a track other then a 1/4 mile track if it had a V8......
What this kind poster said

EDIT: to show how these SUV races work, there is bunch of rules, but as i was saying earlier with the rivalry, between nissan vs toyota here is a glimpse of what goes on with SUVs in our part of arabia, enjoy.

Last edited by DetunedRadio; 12-06-2009 at 10:41 AM.