Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Upper windshield bubble rust leak into overhead console

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2010, 03:34 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1995
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L 4wd
Default Upper windshield bubble rust leak into overhead console

Title pretty much says it all. Spaced out one the rubber overhead windshield gasket is some bubble rust, and it looks like theres like no sealant or caulk in there anymore or something when i look under the rubber. it leaks into the overhead console and drips onto the mid console sometimes, where the ebrake handle is basically. Can someone point be to a good caulk or sealant that remains intact in very warm and very cold climates? I would really appreciate input. My old blue beast 87 has metal reinforcements around the windshield. Why ever did they do away with that??????
Old 05-14-2010, 06:19 PM

No one can point be at a good all temp caulk? im looking for someone who has xp and can confirm a good sealant. i dont wanna just go to the store and buy the brand the recommend if its crap, i trust people who have xperience with jeeps. any even small advice would be really appreciated.
Old 05-14-2010, 07:09 PM
CF Veteran

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Engine: 2.5 4 cyl.

if its your window, then just get what they use to put it on, its called eurathane. Its black and comes in a tube
Old 05-14-2010, 08:10 PM

Originally Posted by xj_maniac_newb
if its your window, then just get what they use to put it on, its called eurathane. Its black and comes in a tube
thanks. its the windshield itself the top of it. you see how theres like a black rubber strip that seals the top of the windshield or at least protects it. theres rubber black trim like it on all four sides. on the top one, the rust has bubbled undertneath and comprimised the sealant. so all water just works under it an consolidates into the overhead console then drips straight down into the ebrake area. so this eurathane is all i need? thank you very much.
Old 05-14-2010, 08:54 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1996
Engine: 4.0

Not really related to your problem, but if you have rust under your windshield/seal, it can cause an annoying stress fracture in the glass. I had some bubble rust going from half an inch above the seal, and down under the windshield and it cracked some time after. Just an fyi before you seal it back up.
Old 05-14-2010, 09:32 PM

see this is why im trying to adress this, although i have a parts jeep, both jeeps are awsome and i dont wanna **** with them unless ihave too,.
this glass is imaculate, and i think it tuff **** cause it looks like it came from winter **** stress
Old 05-15-2010, 10:58 PM
CF Veteran

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Engine: 2.5 4 cyl.

the black piece of rubber you see around the windshield is merely there to block trash, protect the sealant, and to give it a flush look. The eurathane is what seals the window. The thing about the eurathane is that it wont really come off anything you put it on without some work, so if you get it on your paint theres a good possibility that it could pull paint with it so be careful