Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Upper left control arm bushing bull$hit

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2012, 04:36 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 2001
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default Upper left control arm bushing bull$hit

Please read carefully as this is necessary. When I purchased my cherokee at 76k in 2010 which has a rustys 6.5 short arm kit; All I was aware of was that the front drivers side shock was blown. As time time went on I realized when I went through paperwork that it has a new radiator put in. Then since I had been crawling underneath a lot to work on it I noticed it had a brand new gearbox as of 2009. A big dent in drivers side fender. I just assumed it was pinned against a boulder or something. Well I kept hearing the thud like a shock was blown after replacing both front shocks with new bilstein 5150's. The upper left control arm bushing at the unibody side was blown to where i could shake the control arm with my hand. After getting the bastard out after hours of hammering I put a moog in which had a lot of slop when the bolt was slid through it. It took driving my cherokee against a 3/4 ton dodge ram bumper in which a 2/4" board was braced against my axle side mount until it pushed my caster back enough for the control arm to be flush with the bushing hole. The next day it was blown out again and later down the road I tried to come to a conclusion that It was due to my track bar alignment being off and tearing against it, which it could have been what broke it again...But What my question is: Should there be that much negative caster exterted to put the control arm on successfully? Thanks for taking the time to read this as I'm about to get a Wj bushing even though I have another mOOG for the xj and try this again.
Old 01-13-2012, 07:21 PM
CF Veteran

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts
Year: 1995
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 4.0 with all of the noise and clatter

They are a pain to get lined up on a bone stock suspension too. My grand daughter learned a few words when I replaced my upper arms.