Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

upper ball joint popped out!! Axle ruined?

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2012, 09:33 AM
Seasoned Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1999
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default upper ball joint popped out!! Axle ruined?

I know this is going to be hard to determine, but I'm a little worried about this. I went to get my jeep aligned and when we lifted it off the ground the upper ball joint on the drivers side was flopping around and had popped out. I just had these ball joints all replaced in June so any time between then and now it could have popped out... my fear is how much damage this might have caused the axle hoping it doesnt wallow out the hole and make it impossible to get a ball joint to stay in there. My mechanic wont be able to fix it till tomorrow evening so I have to drive it for another 80-100 miles till he can get to it. Has anyone on the board experienced this? If it helps, i was running stock sized tires until about 3 weeks ago i started running 30" tires and no lift. no off-roading, but lots of highway driving.

Thanks in advance for the help, thoughts.
Old 09-18-2012, 09:40 AM

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Year: 1993

I'd say the top of the C is worn to the point that it won't hold the Ball joint.

Who installed them? Do you know they were the right joints?

When they come back out measure the OD of the joint and ID of the hole that it belongs in.

You'll be ok driving on it. Just dont attempt any jumps and take it easy.
Old 09-18-2012, 09:47 AM
Seasoned Member

Originally Posted by lowrange2
I'd say the top of the C is worn to the point that it won't hold the Ball joint.

Who installed them? Do you know they were the right joints?

When they come back out measure the OD of the joint and ID of the hole that it belongs in.

You'll be ok driving on it. Just dont attempt any jumps and take it easy.
I just ordered a new set of ball joints for that side, i hop its not worn to that extent, my buddy told me he can weld it in place to hold me off till i get a replacement axle if need be. We will measure it out on Friday when we take that side off.

On a side note... i guess i know what's causing my death wobble issue
Old 09-18-2012, 09:48 AM
CF Veteran

Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts

I actually just experienced this with my driver's side lower ball joint. There is a chance that the housing is damaged beyond repair due to wallowing, but it would take some time for it to truly be cause for a new housing. Mine wasn't too bad and I fixed it by tacking in small nipples to grab the ball joint and secure it.

Be careful driving it. You can drive on it, but try to avoid larger bumps and sharp, quick turns. With the ball joint loose, a lot of strain is being put in the housing, the lower ball joint, and the knuckle.
Old 09-18-2012, 09:51 AM
Seasoned Member

Originally Posted by no rdplz
I actually just experienced this with my driver's side lower ball joint. There is a chance that the housing is damaged beyond repair due to wallowing, but it would take some time for it to truly be cause for a new housing. Mine wasn't too bad and I fixed it by tacking in small nipples to grab the ball joint and secure it.

Be careful driving it. You can drive on it, but try to avoid larger bumps and sharp, quick turns. With the ball joint loose, a lot of strain is being put in the housing, the lower ball joint, and the knuckle.
interesting, I'm sure he knows he can to that, he's been working on jeeps for quite some time, I'm sure he can fix it. I just hate the thought of my axle being compromised in a sense. Like if i have to replace them again how will it work out or will it be even harder to find a replacement axle then?!?!? lol
Old 09-18-2012, 09:52 AM

Just weld it in there solid. Then sell the Jeep when it wears out.
Old 09-18-2012, 09:58 AM
Seasoned Member

lol not planning on selling it... ever!! I'll look for a HP 30 in the mean time.
Old 09-18-2012, 10:01 AM
CF Veteran

Crappy way to sell a vehicle, dude. Just dumping your hack job problems on someone else isn't cool. Tacking in nipples works. Just make sure they secure the ball joint well. Don't weld the ball joint into the housing itself. The nipples create grab points to hold the ball joint in, not actually welding the ball joint itself in place. If you weld the ball joint in, you will have to replace the axle at some point.

Last edited by no rdplz; 09-18-2012 at 10:05 AM.
Old 09-18-2012, 10:08 AM

... I was kidding.

The axle needs to be replace anyways... they're a dime a dozen.

I'd bet in a larger city you could swap an axle in cheaper than you could have some guy weld ya some nipples on.
Old 09-18-2012, 10:23 AM
Seasoned Member

... I was kidding.

I'd bet in a larger city you could swap an axle in cheaper than you could have some guy weld ya some nipples on.
probably not, my mechanic is going to do the install for 100 upper and lower if they need it. I'll see if he can weld in nipples to hold it in place instead of welding the ball joint to the axle.
Old 09-18-2012, 10:25 AM
CF Veteran

... I was kidding.

Glad to hear that. Unfortunately, there are people that would actually weld it in there and then send it off for someone else to deal with later.

All depends on how bad it is. Eventually, yes, the axle will need replacing, but it's not something that has to happen immediately if the mount isn't that bad. Personally, I'd like to get a 44 up front. Not the strongest, but it'll easily handle anything I ever throw at mine.

Last edited by no rdplz; 09-18-2012 at 10:33 AM.
Old 09-18-2012, 10:31 AM

Originally Posted by iluvmud
probably not, my mechanic is going to do the install for 100 upper and lower if they need it. I'll see if he can weld in nipples to hold it in place instead of welding the ball joint to the axle.
Dana 30's are 75 bucks at my local yard. Granted, it'd probably need new ball joints as well.

Glad to hear that. Unfortunately, there are people that would actually weld it in there and then send it off for someone else to deal with later.

All depends on how bad it is. Eventually, yes, the axle will need replacing, but it's not something that has to happen immediately if the mount isn't that bad. With that being the case, why stick with a D30? Yeah they're cheap, but there's better out there. Personally, I'd like to get a 44 up front. Not the strongest, but it'll easily handle anything I ever throw at mine.
Because his Jeep is stock.
Old 09-18-2012, 10:33 AM
Seasoned Member

All depends on how bad it is. Eventually, yes, the axle will need replacing, but it's not something that has to happen immediately if the mount isn't that bad.
yeah we'll see how bad it is and go from there. Honestly I don't plan on wheeling it aside from some dirt roads and grassy trails(deer lease type terrain). So a 30 up front with 31" tall tires will be the biggest this thing will see.
Old 09-18-2012, 10:35 AM
CF Veteran

Dana 30's are 75 bucks at my local yard. Granted, it'd probably need new ball joints as well.

Because his Jeep is stock.
Yeah, they're about 130 at mine. Still fairly cheap. Just saying it may not need to be replaced right away.

Exactly, start upgrading!
Old 09-18-2012, 10:40 AM
CF Veteran

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Wait, wait, wait.....

Any pics of the balljoint in the "Popped Out" condition?

The castle nut will prevent the ball joint from moving upwards and the flange on the ball joint body will ptrevent it from getting pulled thru the inner C.

Then there's the lower ball joint keeping the knuckle in place as well.....

Something don't sound right.....

Quick Reply: upper ball joint popped out!! Axle ruined?