Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Upcountry (i guess)

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2014, 08:36 PM
Seasoned Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Year: 98
Model: Cherokee(XJ)
Engine: 4.0L
Default Upcountry (i guess)

I looked around and didnt find a thread like this, so here goes...

Its not about if i have the Upcountry kit or not. Im wondering how the 1" of lift was achieved. Were they simply different springs? or was a spacer installed on the front and an extra leaf/shackles on the back?

I know i do not have the UC kit, which is unfortunate but OK. I was thinking if going for an inch in the future and was curious as to how it came from the factory.
Old 06-19-2014, 05:50 PM
CF Veteran

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Year: 1987
Engine: Check

I thought the leafs had more arch in the rear, pretty sure the coils were just an inch taller.
Old 06-20-2014, 04:48 PM
Seasoned Member

Originally Posted by Gee oh Dee
I thought the leafs had more arch in the rear, pretty sure the coils were just an inch taller.
Taller springs would make sense too.
I mean, call me naive, but i didnt figure there would be a whole lot of difference, for cost saving reasons.
Old 06-20-2014, 05:53 PM
CF Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1997
Model: Cherokee

I have the upcountry package, it's just the springs had a higher spring rate and load. Which would give less under weight than the stock packs, when I swapped out the front coils I compared them to a stock coil and they were the same height. Maybe a bit bigger coil but that's it. Same with the leafs In the back. Just a higher pay load. When I swapped mine to stock leafs that had a higher arch(thinking they were in better shape) my rear end actually sagged more lol it's just the difference in spring rate and weight capacity of the spring, that's why the HD ome leaf and the HD crown leaf replacements will lift the rear.
Old 06-20-2014, 06:54 PM

Year: 2001
Engine: I-6

Up country - 1" lift , skids ( front, t case , gas tank) trans cooler, reicever hitch, front tow hooks.
Old 06-20-2014, 08:40 PM
Seasoned Member

Originally Posted by Demonoid369
I have the upcountry package, it's just the springs had a higher spring rate and load.
Makes sense, the Park's XJ came with the HD suspension and i can definitely tell it rides a lot different than mine does.

Originally Posted by Aljay
Up country - 1" lift , skids ( front, t case , gas tank) trans cooler, reicever hitch, front tow hooks.
Right. Sadly y Classic didnt come with any of the goodies, besides power everything and a remote door locker. No Overhead Console though.

I would probably be ahead to just do a 'regular' BB as opposed to looking in JYs for an Upcountry and grabbing the suspension off of it, wouldnt I?
Old 06-20-2014, 09:09 PM
CF Veteran

BB is usually the cheapest option unless you find the coils and leafs for under a $100. Spacer and shackle or spacer and add a leaf is going to be the cheapest. Most upcountry options came on basic SE jeeps for some reason, not all but a majority of them did, especially white base models, like mine lol
Old 06-20-2014, 09:35 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Year: 2001, 1997

Is the Upcountry a harsh ride? My Jeep has the "jeep lean" and I'm looking to install some fresh springs. Since its a daily driver I don't want to lift it much and start messing around with driveshaft angles. I'm not sure if the HD springs from Up Country are right for me. Also, could someone humor me and explain YJ and BB.

Thanks!
Old 06-20-2014, 09:45 PM
CF Veteran

Nope not harsh, maybe a tiny bit more firm of a ride than stock.
BB- budget boost
YJ- a wrangler, he probably meant JY- junk yard
Old 06-20-2014, 11:02 PM
Seasoned Member

Originally Posted by md21722
Is the Upcountry a harsh ride? My Jeep has the "jeep lean" and I'm looking to install some fresh springs. Since its a daily driver I don't want to lift it much and start messing around with driveshaft angles. I'm not sure if the HD springs from Up Country are right for me. Also, could someone humor me and explain YJ and BB.

Thanks!
It was more noticeable to me in the corners. the body roll in corners reminded me more of my Avenger, a bit stiffer then my Chero.

And like mentioned, YJ is a Wrangler, i said JY for junkyard.
Though between the other jeep guys in the area, the ones around here have gotta be picked clean by now.

ill talk about BBs in my build thread maybe, since that kind of exceeds the scope off this thread.

Have to say, i would have figured the UC would have come with an LSD.
Old 06-20-2014, 11:38 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Year: 2001, 1997

ah thanks makes sense.
Old 06-21-2014, 01:30 AM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by RegularGuy

Have to say, i would have figured the UC would have come with an LSD.

They did, all upcountry got a LSD rear axle, now the type of axle depended on if you got abs braking or not. Like mine I got the LSD in a 8.25 because I don't have abs. Abs would have gaven me a d35 with LSD
Old 06-21-2014, 02:17 PM
Seasoned Member

Originally Posted by Demonoid369
They did, all upcountry got a LSD rear axle, now the type of axle depended on if you got abs braking or not. Like mine I got the LSD in a 8.25 because I don't have abs. Abs would have gaven me a d35 with LSD
So i see. yeah i looked at a '97 2-door with no roof rack which had ABS so i knew it had the smaller D35. I ended up not getting it because the owners drug their feet for two weeks and stopped returning my messages and calls, but then i fell into this one. I think i got a better deal!

I have the 8.25 as well. This isnt a suspention related question, but how hard a job is popping in the LSD into my Diff? or is the diff a completely different unit? im still fuzzy on the drivetrain particulars but im working on it.

I KNOW i have an open diff, from the build sheet, lack of sticker in the glovebox, and, well, goosing it on pavement.
Old 06-21-2014, 02:35 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by RegularGuy

I KNOW i have an open diff, from the build sheet, lack of sticker in the glovebox, and, well, goosing it on pavement.

This got you saved from me telling you to search lol thank you for actually knowing or at least showing you've read and learned about it.

The LSD carrier and stock carrier are different, if you want LSD, then you need the carrier for it. If you rebuild one and do the mod of using 4 friction plates instead of 3(it's the same as the 8.8 LSD mod) it's good up to 31"-32". 32" being the upper end if you did the mod and use very little friction modifier.standard LSD is good to 31" but any bigger and it'll act just like a open diff.
Old 08-31-2014, 09:59 PM
Seasoned Member

I thought it would be logical to ask here since it kinda goes with the thread.

My neighbor's junk XJ has the UC package... Is there any way to tell if the coils are 'wore out' or would sag without putting them on mine? the jeep is sitting on blocks right now so i cant measure the ride height.

For my lift in the future, i figured i might be better off just getting taller springs instead of a spacer. Id think the leaves in the rear of that thing are wore out so id get another leaf from elsewhere (or perhaps im ignorant and put too little faith in the springs?)

I guess im asking if its worth my time to take the coils off a rusted out, but somewhat low mileage, Upcountry.

Quick Reply: Upcountry (i guess)