Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Unknown Problem (Radiator?) with my Jeep Cherokee XJ

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2015, 08:15 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 2000
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L 6 Cyl
Default Unknown Problem (Radiator?) with my Jeep Cherokee XJ

Hello Fellow Jeepers!

I have come across a problem with my Jeep Cherokee...
Make: Jeep
Miles: 145k

Situation & Problem: There is a hissing sound coming from the front part of the engine on the right passanger side. I dident think much of it but as the days went by the sound started to become much more audiable. One evening when driving it home from school it began to spew white gas from only the right side of the radiator and the engine shut off.
I checked the radiator fuild and reserve and both were full.

I took it to a mechanic and had a brand new radiator installed and after driving it a few miles i parked it at home and heard a the faint "hissing" sound coming from the right side of the radiator....again.

Do you guys know what the problem might be?

----------------------------------------Reason: Thermostat (Broken) not letting water flow through engine--------------------------------------------

Thanks for Reading!

-CalJeep

Last edited by CalJeep; 12-13-2015 at 06:03 PM. Reason: SOLVED
Old 11-01-2015, 10:02 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Engine: 4.0L

When they replaced the radiator did they do hoses as well? Check (visually and feel the lines for oil) the transmission fluid lines as well where they connect to the radiator, hard lines (driver's side, back of radiator, one high one low). Rent a pressure tester from Auto Zone or your preferred automotive store, it will be $100-$150 deposit refunded on return, pressurize the system to the 18 psi mark and no higher, if radiator or hoses are leaking it will be visible. If problem still not located it may not be the cooling system and hopefully one of the 4.0 gurus on here will chime in. What is your normal operating temp according to the gauge? Welcome to the forum.
Old 11-02-2015, 06:33 AM
CF Veteran

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts
Year: 97
Engine: 4.0

Originally Posted by CalJeep
Hello Fellow Jeepers!

I have come across a problem with my Jeep Cherokee...
Make: Jeep
Miles: 145k

Situation & Problem: There is a hissing sound coming from the front part of the engine on the right passanger side. I dident think much of it but as the days went by the sound started to become much more audiable. One evening when driving it home from school it began to spew white gas from only the right side of the radiator and the engine shut off.
I checked the radiator fuild and reserve and both were full.

I took it to a mechanic and had a brand new radiator installed and after driving it a few miles i parked it at home and heard a the faint "hissing" sound coming from the right side of the radiator....again.

Do you guys know what the problem might be?

Thanks for Reading!

-CalJeep

After the radiator was changed...was it actually running hot or was it normal in temp? Were you running the AC just before you shut it off and heard the hiss?

If your radiator and heating problems are now solved, It is not uncommon to hear a hiss in the AC condenser core up front for a bit after you shut it off and had just been using it.
Old 11-02-2015, 11:39 AM
Seasoned Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Engine: 4.0

Does the ac still work? I would suspect a problem with the ac condensor which is in front of the radiator. Also, the vaccum storage canister is located behind the bumper on the passenger side below the radiator. If it or one of the lines were cracked this might cause the hiss too. I don know about white smoke though.
Old 12-13-2015, 06:01 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Engine: 4.0L 6 Cyl

The XJ seems to be working just fine for about a month now. I suspect that the problem was the Thermostat (not letting water flow through the engine) I checked the heads and there is no visible serious damage.
Old 12-14-2015, 05:08 AM
CF Veteran

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Sure its not a vacuum leak ?