Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

UHHH OHHHH whats those noises???

Old 03-28-2012, 03:39 PM
CF Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Year: 1998
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L
Default UHHH OHHHH whats those noises???

So of course jeeps are noisy but I got some bad ones going on here.
Note: My phone's mic makes things seems about 20x louder than they are sometimes.

The first video is my rear axle. I just changed out my gear oil so it's full and I'm not sure if I've ever noticed it before. I'm spinning the wheel hub as fast as I can. At first I thought it was the wheel bearing but then I noticed it was coming from the diff. It's on the passenger side axle because from the driver side I can barely hear it. Is it possible something got in the diff when I was cleaning/changing oil or is that some kind of bearing?

The next has happened since I put on my lift. It happens when I go over bumps and ot sounds as though my wheel is going to fall off but everything is tight. I've checked the wheels, shocks, sway bar, coils, motor mounts and tranny mounts. Anybody have a clue what it could be? At first I thought it was coming from the driver side but now it sounds like the passenger side or the middle. I did add a t case drop for my lift so I'm afraid I messed up something there, I don't know.

HELPPPPP
Old 03-28-2012, 03:47 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

first video. have you pulled the cover and looked at it? should be done first and then if you dont visually see something start asking questions. kinda sounds like a spider gear issue.

second video. have you looked at your transmission mount?
Old 03-28-2012, 03:57 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1996
Engine: 4.0 H.O.

could just be me but it sounds like the track bar bouncing at the ball joint. mine does the same thing. try to shake the track bar at the frame side mount. if it clunks it is time for a new bar.
Old 03-28-2012, 04:52 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by katowkalin
first video. have you pulled the cover and looked at it? should be done first and then if you dont visually see something start asking questions. kinda sounds like a spider gear issue.

second video. have you looked at your transmission mount?
Well when I changed the oil I checked everything out and didnt notice anything but at that time I did not know if it was making that noise.

Also yes I did and everything seems tight
Old 03-28-2012, 04:53 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by Bigwillie
could just be me but it sounds like the track bar bouncing at the ball joint. mine does the same thing. try to shake the track bar at the frame side mount. if it clunks it is time for a new bar.
That might make sense since I just put on the lift and havent relocated the track bar or got a longer one.
Old 03-29-2012, 10:52 AM
CF Veteran

So I checked the track bar and theres no movement at all. any other suggestions?
Old 03-29-2012, 12:03 PM
Seasoned Member

Year: 1993
Engine: 4.0

you would be surprised at how hard it is to check if something in your front end is loose. you cannot do it by hand. the only way is to have someone cycle the steering back and forth and look for play. I had the same noise and it ended up being that i need more shims in my driver side lower control arm and my track bar bushing at the frame mount. i could grab both those peices and shake all my weight into it (250+) and they didnt move. the second i had someone turn the wheel, i could see the play at both spots.
Old 03-29-2012, 12:09 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

2nd, exhaust still in the mount that goes by the transmission? i know you said you did a t-case drop.
Old 03-29-2012, 02:24 PM
Seasoned Member

Year: 1993

Originally Posted by cherokee90
2nd, exhaust still in the mount that goes by the transmission? i know you said you did a t-case drop.
you know i've been meaning to ask about that, my exhaust is resting on the crossmember because the PO cut that mount off for whatever reason. I dont have any noises from that area though. Should i worry about it?
Old 03-29-2012, 06:10 PM
CF Veteran

ah crap that means I gotta get the gf to turn the wheel while I crawl under it. Lord knows shell find a way to flip it haha. but actually I just had my exhaust rewelded up because it was hitting driveline in the back