Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Turn signal issues

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2014, 09:45 PM
Seasoned Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 2000
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default Turn signal issues

2000 xj, 4.0, auto, 4wd. Over the last couple of months my turn signals would act up now and then. They would stop blinking sometimes, left or right, it didnt matter. I could click it back and forth a couple of times and it would work again. Hazards worked fine. Well it finally got bad enough that I basically had no blinkers no matter what I did. It was odd as it would work ok for a bit when the truck was cold but then go bad as I drove it more. So, I researched it and ended up changing the turn signal switch. It worked fine for a day and now its back to the same thing. Ive read about people getting bad ones at first and having to return them til they got a good one but that seems odd to me. So Im thinking it may be the actual flasher. But the hazards work and blink fine. This is a 3 prong flasher. Are there 2 relays inside this thing or do the signals and hazards blink the same one inside? Im gonna replace the flasher I guess. If that doesnt work then I will exchange the signal switch for a new one. Aside from these 2 items, has anyone ever had a different problem that caused these issues?
Old 12-16-2014, 10:39 PM
Seasoned Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1996

It's a single relay providing both functions, so if your hazards work fine then the relay isn't your issue.

I had this exact issue, and I finally tracked it to a corroded fuse socket in the fuse box under the dash. Cleaned it up and it's been perfect ever since.
Old 12-16-2014, 10:49 PM
Seasoned Member

So I should check the fuse box under the dash for corrosion? So if I wiggle or pull the fuse in and out it might fix my problem? That would be awesome. I will check that tomorrow before I replace anything else.
Old 12-17-2014, 06:47 AM
Seasoned Member

Originally Posted by car buff
So if I wiggle or pull the fuse in and out it might fix my problem? That would be awesome.
That's exactly how I found my problem, I had changed the signal switch and the relay, and was probing the fuses with a multimeter with the signal switch on. When I touched the problem fuse, the turn signal relay stuttered and the signals started working. Pulled the fuse and found the corrosion. Weird part is, it's a fuse my jeep isn't even supposed to have, according to my owners manual and the Haynes book, but I'm still working on that bit. This is why I couldn't find the issue sooner, I had checked all the fuses that were labeled as anything to do with turn signals, flashers, headlights/taillights, etc. (it's a '96, and from what I've read the wiring started getting weird in 1996 and downright scary in '97.)

I also noticed that the rubber boot that was supposed to seal the throttle cable to the firewall was pulled out and just hanging inside the cab, the hole is just above the fuse box, so I figure that's where the moisture was coming from.

I'm not saying this will fix your issue, but my symptoms were identical to what you and several others have described. Good luck!
Old 12-17-2014, 07:57 AM
Seasoned Member

Model: Cherokee(XJ)
Engine: 4.0 L

Check all sockets, wiring, bulbs, etc...it really could be a list of potential things causing that. I agree it wouldn't be the relay though since your hazards work and they are on the the same relay.
Old 12-17-2014, 02:36 PM
Seasoned Member

So, I changed the relay and all is fine now. Yes, the hazards and the signals use the same relay, but, inside the relay there is separate circuitry for each. So its not the physical relay that went bad but likely a cracked resistor or broken solder joint on the circuit board. I saw videos on how to fix them but for ten bucks I cant be bothered. The new one is not as loud but it says it is compatible with leds which I guess is a good thing. So in short, if your hazards work fine but signals are bad, it can be the relay/flasher. Thanks for all the ideas and help.
Old 12-17-2014, 03:05 PM
Seasoned Member