Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Turbo cut out problem

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2009, 08:34 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 2005
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 2.8 diesel
Angry Turbo cut out problem

This is a bit long winded but I have a problem with turbo cut out and would appreciate some advice.

I have a 2005 Cherokee renegade 2.8 diesel turbo ( it is a South African model but I assume is the same as the US model.) Its a low kilometer car with only 70,000 kilometers on the clock.

An intermittent fault has developed where the turbo seems to switch itself off and the yellow fault warning light comes on. If I stop the engine and start it again the turbo works fine again. I have had it checked at a dealers three times and as it is intermittant they say they cannot find a fault. The diagnostics say ' low turbo boost or High boost. ' The fault is becoming more regular and occasionally if I coast down a long hill and then accelerate up hill the turbo will cut out. Last week the turbo boost airpipe split. It was replaced but the intermittent fault continues. The yellow fault warning light is permenantly on at present.

I would be pleased if anyone could help me solve this problem before I pull out what little hair I have remaining.

Thanks Rob
Old 09-10-2009, 08:44 AM
CF Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1996
Engine: 4.0

Welcome....
There might be somebody here that can help, with your problem, some of us have diesels. But here, your Cherokee KJ is called a Liberty and Diesel is rare.... This site is more focused on the older XJ, ZJ,WJ Cherokees. You might find more information over on http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/index.php, they have a section dedicated to the KJ Cherokee.
Old 09-10-2009, 08:44 AM
CF Veteran

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Year: 2004
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 4.7L V8

I'm not familiar with that engine, but it sounds like you have a problem with the waste-gate solenoid allowing the engine to go into an over-boost condition. That is what set off the warning light. After the condition is found and fixed, the computer will have to be cleared for the light to go off. I'm basing this answer on my experience with gas turbo engines and have no experience with diesels, so this may not apply here. JMO
Dan
And Welcome to CF.
Old 09-10-2009, 08:49 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 2005
Engine: 2.8 diesel

Amazed at the quick responses, cant ask better than that, I will search the other suggested site

Thanks

Rob