Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Tubular control arms

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2014, 02:17 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1999
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L
Default Tubular control arms

While searching this subject, it seemed to mention a Jeep that's been lifted. Since I plan to leave the XJ stock as it's my daily driver, does this mean I HAVE to stick with the stamped steel ones?

I'm trying to eliminate death wobble that kicks in between 37-53 MPH. I've replaced the track bar, upper & lower ball joints, both sides, u-joints on front axle, power steering box and steering stabilizer, shocks, and had front end aligned after each major change repair.

Got new tires when I purchased the XJ in Mar 2011. They have been rotated and balanced every 5000 miles. Don't ever plan to go serious off roading, rock crawling, or mudding. Will go off road to find the secluded fishing spot, and good prospecting areas.

As most of Jeep owners know, owning a Jeep as old as 13 years, and most of the time older, can be expensive, but is the ride always harsh?

I've got BF Goodrich all terrain TA's, but if necessary will go to a less aggressive tire. Here in Colorado these tires don't really handle that well in ice and snow. Thank goodness for 4 wheel high, as vehicle gets squarely at times.

Looking for a know what I'm talking about answer rather than a I think so one. I'm almost past the guessing stage. I do realize many factors come into play.

Got this vehicle due to several factor, but mainly due to a legal separation, money to spend was the deciding factor. With all the cost of parts, and repair bills, (I'm not that good of a mechanic) and extra couple of grand would have been worth it. BUT..... that's why hindsight is 20/20.
Old 05-19-2014, 02:48 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 1997

Originally Posted by apw5746
As most of Jeep owners know, owning a Jeep as old as 13 years, and most of the time older, can be expensive, but is the ride always harsh?

^ they aren't that expensive if you know where to look and problem solve plus not harsh at all, it's not a Cadillac

Looking for a know what I'm talking about answer rather than a I think so.
^Probably should have asked this way before you threw so much money in to it

I do realize many factors come into play
^not really

(I'm not that good of a mechanic)
^can tell from the money you threw at it lol
Search up death wobble, most likely cause is you didn't tighten the track bar enough or have a wallowed out track bar mount on the axle. Have you checked to see how your control arm bushings are? Or the bushings on the upper control arm on the axle? Actually check them out before just swapping them out. You've already done that and didnt get you no where. I sound harsh but its the truth, you have to get down there and physically check them. Don't just throw parts at it hoping to fix it, that's how ANY vehicle gets expensive
Old 05-19-2014, 03:24 PM

Year: 1999

Originally Posted by Demonoid369
Search up death wobble, most likely cause is you didn't tighten the track bar enough or have a wallowed out track bar mount on the axle. Have you checked to see how your control arm bushings are? Or the bushings on the upper control arm on the axle? Actually check them out before just swapping them out. You've already done that and didnt get you no where. I sound harsh but its the truth, you have to get down there and physically check them. Don't just throw parts at it hoping to fix it, that's how ANY vehicle gets expensive
I've been married 41 years, so you can't be any harsher than my wife.

You're right about throwing good money away. I'm a great accountant, just a lousy mechanic

Have always owned late model Toyotas and Subarus, so I definitely was blind sided on this one.

No I haven't checked the bushings. Where it might be easy to swap them out for some people, it's not that easy for me, and losing the car for over a day puts a big crimp on me.

So again.....I don't think you're being harsh, just a truthful individual.